How Do I Get Rid of Malware (HackTool (x10 instances) AND Trojan) on My Book 1230 4 TB USB Drive

Good morning,

I have an HP Pavilion 590-p0044 Desktop PC running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I have the My Book 1230 4 TB USB drive that I use for backing up my system with Easus ToDo Backup Free. On 09/04/2019, I had downloaded the ZIP file for the portable application “Windows Repair Toolbox” and saved it to my USB drive. This past Monday, 10/14/2019, I ran the executable file from my USB drive, and numerous files were downloaded to that drive for use with the toolbox. About 5 hours following this, I received many pop-ups from Windows Defender (my only security program) indicating that Windows was now infected with about 10 instances of HackTools and 2 of Trojan:Win32/Nedsym. Defender linked me to Windows’ website for instructions on removing each. I followed the instructions explicitly, and according to Windows Defender and Microsoft Safety Scanner, all infections have been removed completely. I am here because I would like to recover Windows using an image I had created wtih Easus and stored on my USB drive in 08/2019, and would like to find out if that is even possible with these infections.

Thank you!
Pam Vermeulen

Hi Pam, I’m the developer of Windows Repair Toolbox. Those are the Nirsoft Tools, that are flagged by most AV’s (because they can be used with malicious purposes) but aren’t virus: https://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

Also, a few of the AV Removal Tools might also get flagged.

I have a warning the the website: “Important note: some of the tools may trigger false positive alerts from your AV (e.g: the Nirsoft tools)”. And another warning is also shown when you click the button that downloads all the tools at once.