How do I get my WD Live to Recognize my 5GHz wi-fi channel?

Hi All,

I have 2x WD Live boxes and 2x D-LINK DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapters. I have one WD box downstairs, and after a few teathing issues seems to be working well enough. The second WD box is upstairs and has exactly the same config. Box WD’s have 1.06.15 firmware on them.

My problem is a few things:

1) How do you get the WD to recognise the 5GHz channel from my wi-fi?

The router being used is a Netgear WNDR3700. I have the 5GHz channel activated and transmitting the SSID.My laptop(s) connect fine to this channel and have 80% signal upstairs on the 5GHz channel. The WD Live (upstairs) says I’m getting between 3 (mostly) and 2 bars signal on the 2.4GHz channel, but would like to dedicate the 5GHz channel to the WD’s so they have their own uniterrupted channel for streaming.

2) I read that my wi-fi usb’s are compatible with the WD units - but access to the shared network folder takes a good 30 seconds. Is this normal? Can I speed up the connection when booting the WD’s?

I already have automatic network authentication activated. Would I be better installing Homebrew firmware onto the 2x WD’s?

3) The playback on the WD Live upstairs is woeful. I had the same issue with the downstairs unit to begin with, but then it just magically ‘fixed’ itself after a couple of days. The video playback was very jittery/stuttering (see my post: WD Live 1.06.15 ISO/MKV/VOB Playback Solution Help) . I have tried playback upstairs with the same files I played on the WD downstairs and the playback upstairs still stutters and is unwatchable. Any idea’s on resolving this?

Both WD’s have the same network and wireless settings/access rights. Both have identical set-ups within settings. Both are approximately the same distance relatively from the router. Both are running off the 2.4GHz channel currently. I have stopped any downloads and there was no traffic what-so-ever across the network when testing. Regardless of whether the downstairs WD was on/playing/off the upstairs unit always stutters and freezes during playback. The downstairs unit is totally uneffected during playback.

Many thanks for any assistance/advice. I am unable to hard-wire the units due to logistics so must have a wireless solution that works.

Vidinoz

2x WD Live TV 1.06.15
2x D-LINK DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter
Netgear WNDR3700 Router
Netgear ProSafe GS108 Gigabit Switch
APC 750 Smart UPS
Synology 1511+ NAS with 3GB RAM and DS510 extension

Good question! I was thinking on asking that too. I will make a test and will post as soon as possible.

1. How do you get the WD to recognise the 5GHz channel from my wi-fi? there is no way of doing so, its either automatic or manual connection to the network, no way of choosing the channel that you connect to

2) I read that my wi-fi usb’s are compatible with the WD units - but access to the shared network folder takes a good 30 seconds. Is this normal? Can I speed up the connection when booting the WD’s? It is normal for it to take that long as the device needs to refresh network information everytime it is booted up.

3) The playback on the WD Live upstairs is woeful. I had the same issue with the downstairs unit to begin with, but then it just magically ‘fixed’ itself after a couple of days. The video playback was very jittery/stuttering (see my post: WD Live 1.06.15 ISO/MKV/VOB Playback Solution Help) . I have tried playback upstairs with the same files I played on the WD downstairs and the playback upstairs still stutters and is unwatchable. Any idea’s on resolving this? no way of fixing this, this depends on wireless transfer speeds, not on the wd tv itself.

1.  That is true of any system if you use the same SSID for both bands.   If you use DIFFERENT SSIDs, then choosing the SSID in the 5.8GHz band will connect you to that network.

The SSID is different for both bands.

It doesn’t matter whether I use the auto search or enter everything in manually, the units will not recognise the 5GHz channel.

Are the WD Lives ‘unable’ to see this channel?

Due to the lack of responses I’m assuming this is impossible?

Hi. I have the same Netgear wireless router (WNDR3700 V1) and it is working fine with my Live Plus on the 5 GHz radio. Perhaps the difference is my wireless adapter? I am using the Cisco/Linksys WUSB600N V2. I really like this combination because I use the 5 GHz radio strictly for video streaming, and I can take advantage of the 3700s ability to give priority to video streaming on the 5 GHz band.

I have been using the 3700 and the WUSB600N combination for over a year now without any problems. Streaming works great on the 5 GHZ band. I am currently using the latest firmware for the Plus (1.06.16_B), but the 5 GHz radio has been working through all of the firmwares over the past year.

One thing to be aware of…the 5 GHz signal does not go as far as the 2.4 GHz signal. If you have a lot of walls/obstructions between the router and the wireless adapter, or if it is far away, the 2.4 GHz radio will probably work better. In my case, I am going through 1 wall and the wireless adapter is about 35 feet away from the 3700 (and is on the same floor). As I said, this combination has been working great for me.

What type of security is your router configured to use on the 5.8GHz band?   I note that the DLINK USB adapter says it only supports WPA and WPA2.

I know that you are asking vidinoz that question, but just so he knows…I have my 3700 set to: WPA2-PSK (AES).

Hi, thanks for the responses…  I’ve been away, hence the late reply.

My 2.4 & 5GHz channels are both on WPA2-PSK (AES).

I have actually upgraded my two units to the latest models with the Media Hub UI - so far (even though they are running on the 2.4GHz channel) are running flawlessly via NFS protocol.

I believe it must have been the adapters…  as I can see no other reason for the 5GHz channel not to be available.

If there are any other answers/ideas though for others still using the original set-up please post.