How do I get a link to a file to email to others?

I have a PC.

My MyCloud drive generally seems fine.

I can access it remotely, from my phone, etc.

But if I want to email someone a link to a file – I’m stumped.

Somewhere I read about seeing a “Share” option.

I have no such option.

If I look at a particular file in Explorer on the MyCloud drive, and right click on it, I have no share option.

If I attempt to email the file with one of those options, it tries to send THE ENTIRE FILE, not a link to the file.

I need this functionality!

Thanks.

Alan Wolf

You need to use the My Cloud Desktop app.   That’s where the Email Link option is.

Yes, I’m using the desktop app.

And I am following these instructions – exactly.

But when I attempt to “Send to” / “Email” it puts the ENTIRE (giant) file in the attachment box.

Not a link.

Capture.JPG

alanwolf wrote:

But when I attempt to “Send to” / “Email” it puts the ENTIRE (giant) file in the attachment box.

Not a link.

I’m not sure what you’re doing.

There is no “Send To” function in the My Cloud desktop app.  The screen shot you posted also does not refer to a Send To function.

When I click on “Email” to send a link to a file and/or folder, it just opens up Google Chome, not Gmail. I should mention that the phone/tablet apps work perfectly in this regard.

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Fajah wrote:

How do I fix this?

You’ll need to install Google’s mail handler for Gmail.   Consult GMail’s docs to find that out.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You’ll need to install Google’s mail handler for Gmail.   Consult GMail’s docs to find that out.

Thanks for the reply. I discovered that the WIndows 8 mail “app” will not work with any desktop program. So in order to get email functionality in any desktop program like WD My Cloud, one needs to install a seperate email program. In my case, I chose Windows Live Mail which fixed the functionality, but now I get this after selecting a file and clicking on “email”.:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just to follow up on my previous post, the issue shown in the pic has been fixed by deleting the Windows Live Client and replecing it with something else. Links now show up where they should however, I get a 404 message when attenpting to access the files. I’ll search the forum for some answers.