How do I disable the New Firmware Found Notification?


#1

Can someone tell me how I can disable the New Firmware Found Notification?? I believed if it is not broken I do not need to fix it. I’m happy with the current firmware and do not want to upgrade. But now everytime I turn on my WD Live Plus it will show New Firmware Found screen. It is annoying and dangerous if someone accidently did the upgrade and brick it halfways. I’m using Netflix show blocking internet is not an option. Can someone please help?? Thanks


#2

Unfortunately it appears that you cannot do anything about that. It will show if you are connected to the internet.

I assume that there may be a way of blocking access to the WD server in your router but I don’t know how you would go about that.


#3

Block your WDTV from accessing the site:

That IP address may change from time to time, though, in fact, it may have multiple IPs…

TODAY, it is 129.253.170.35.

Have fun;  if you block that, you’ll never be reminded AGAIN (but it may have other unknown uses, too, so don’t blame me!)


#4

blocked 129.253.170.35 in my router and still getting New Firmware notification… has this worked for anyone? I confirmed by putting 129.253.170.35 in my browser and router loads page notifying of blockage to site. 


#5

skibumtim wrote:

blocked 129.253.170.35 in my router and still getting New Firmware notification… has this worked for anyone?

And yet,

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That IP address may change from time to time, though, in fact, it may have multiple IPs

 

TODAY, it is 129.253.170.35


#6

skibumtim wrote:

blocked 129.253.170.35 in my router and still getting New Firmware notification… has this worked for anyone? I confirmed by putting 129.253.170.35 in my browser and router loads page notifying of blockage to site. 

Pull the plug for a few minutes.  


#7

Did you fall off the roof and hit your head?  That’s how you answered my inquiry? By repeating something I already heard. I might be willing to chase down the ever changing ip if it works. So I asked if this has ever worked for someone. Basically want to know if someone is using this technique and if it is continuing to work for them. Also maybe lets us know how often they have to change the ip. Thanks for the reply RedundantGuy. Your a big help!


#8

You are going to have to do some work for yourself, SkiBum. I can tellyou that the method works perfectly. But different people have to block different IP addresses. Probbly because WD is load balancing their servers. So, you need to figure out which ipmaddress to block for yourself. PING SUPPORT.WDC.COM.


#9

I know that this thread is a bit old, but I figured that I’d share what I discovered tonight, in case someone is still looking to block those annoying Firmware Found messages.

Because of issues I’m having with HDTVLIVE being overly sensitive with my remote control setup (started when the beta’s ended), I’m stuck on 1.03.49_V (maybe permanently).  As a result, of course, the WDTVLIVE keeps telling me that new firmware is available, and besides the annoyance of being mispositioned in the menus at startup, invariably someone in my family would forget, and start the upgrade for me.

So I finally got fed up and blocked the internet connectivity from the WDTVLIVE at the router (Linksys WRT610N).  It worked. No messages, but the widget applications wouldn’t be able to function either.  So out of curiosity, I tried blocking applications at the router instead.

Magic!  I found that blocking “HTTPS” did the trick, …perfectly!  I don’t get the firmware messages, and as far as I can tell, all the widgets (Youtube, Flicker, 360Live, MediaFly) still work fine.  Even better, within the settings menu, it tells me that it has found new firmware (I haven’t actually tested going all the way through a firmware upgrade with HTTPS blocked).

I hope that this helps those of you needing to live with old firmware.  I’m all set for the long haul!   :frowning:


#10

BeethovenLive wrote:

I know that this thread is a bit old, but I figured that I’d share what I discovered tonight, in case someone is still looking to block those annoying Firmware Found messages.

 

Because of issues I’m having with HDTVLIVE being overly sensitive with my remote control setup (started when the beta’s ended), I’m stuck on 1.03.49_V (maybe permanently).  As a result, of course, the WDTVLIVE keeps telling me that new firmware is available, and besides the annoyance of being mispositioned in the menus at startup, invariably someone in my family would forget, and start the upgrade for me.

 

So I finally got fed up and blocked the internet connectivity from the WDTVLIVE at the router (Linksys WRT610N).  It worked. No messages, but the widget applications wouldn’t be able to function either.  So out of curiosity, I tried blocking applications at the router instead.

 

Magic!  I found that blocking “HTTPS” did the trick, …perfectly!  I don’t get the firmware messages, and as far as I can tell, all the widgets (Youtube, Flicker, 360Live, MediaFly) still work fine.  Even better, within the settings menu, it tells me that it has found new firmware (I haven’t actually tested going all the way through a firmware upgrade with HTTPS blocked).

 

I hope that this helps those of you needing to live with old firmware.  I’m all set for the long haul!   :frowning:

 

 

I can only hope that you don’t use a computer on your network for banking or shopping online.


#11

Well, in the router, you specify the internal IP or MAC address so just the WDTVLIVE device’s internet access is filtered.  All other devices are unaffected.


#12

BeethovenLive wrote:

Well, in the router, you specify the internal IP or MAC address so just the WDTVLIVE device’s internet access is filtered.  All other devices are unaffected.

 

Ah, I don’t believe you mentioned that it was specific to the WDTV. 


#13

richUK wrote:

 


BeethovenLive wrote:

Well, in the router, you specify the internal IP or MAC address so just the WDTVLIVE device’s internet access is filtered.  All other devices are unaffected.

 


Ah, I don’t believe you mentioned that it was specific to the WDTV. 

 

Yeah, a key point.  Thanks for helping clarify.