How do I achieve advertised data transfer speeds?

I have a 4TB Thunderbolt 3 G Drive and a 6TB Thunderbolt G Drive (purchased Dec 2017). I seem to be getting about 130 mb/s vs the 250mb/s advertised. I have the 4TB daisy chained to the 6TB. Any thoughts?

Thank you…

1 Like

What are your speeds on each drive without the daisy-chain?
Try-Shortest runs of the highest-quality cables possible, plugged port-to-port. 2) Run Software update. 3) Power everybody down, unplug from computer and AC, let then sit for 5-10 mins, bring everyone back up and restart.

The speeds are about the same - 100-130mb/s. I am using the cables that came with the GDrives. Which software should I be updating? I will try what you are suggesting. Thank you…

Hi. Good news on the OEM cables.
If you don’t have Automatic Updates enabled, Software Update is system- wide. In Sierra 10.12.6 it’s accessed through the Apple menu/App Store, which should display # of updates available.

Keeping everything possible, updated; sometimes resolves SNAFUs and sometimes creates them. I generally wait a couple weeks after an update is announced before updating, to learn from forums of any conflicts. Ideally, I like to keep system updates and program updates at roughly the same iteration, so they can talk to each other.

Did you see that there was a WD Universal firmware update released 2017-12-05 at Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support. (I have no data on using this myself.)

Another option would be to return these new drives before you’re in too deep on a project, and test new ones on your setup to see if the low throughput persists.

Are these new drives the fastest you’ve attached to your setup? Have you ruled out the possibility of your setup creating a bottleneck? If your retailer can get a Pass on with these drives on their bench test, that would help narrow down the possible problems.

Check that the drive’s AC cords are firmly seated to their power source, a foolish-sounding thing that has resolved enough problems for me at 2AM, to pass on to you. Remove the plug completely from the outlet and re-seat.

Very tangential, but this area is where I make my money- What else is on the circuit your system is drawing power from? You likely have surge protection, but sudden power sags (like a microwave oven starting) are just as damaging.
If the circuit and utility service to the building is older, you may not be getting a solid voltage -and these higher-performing drives could be illustrating that. Move other machines off your production circuit and test the throughput again.
Lastly, Try plugging your setup into another circuit and see if the problem resolves.
Best-

The 250 up to # is based on highest possible capacity. This means 8-12TB drives as they are helium sealed drives and perform 20-30% faster than standard air drives.