How Do I Access a USB 3.0 Drive using rear Ports

I have a MCM and an HGST Hitachi 1 TB HD inside that I cannot see in any of the screens. I want to copy bulk data using the faster USB 3.0 on my PC to the Hitachi unit and then disconnect the Hitachi from the PC and directly connect the Hitachi to the MCM rear port and access that data.

Thanks
DL Thomas

Won’t work unless you use identical file systems. Is the aim here to use the 1TB drive within the NAS? If so then configure it to work with the NAS (it will be wiped as part of the process) and then use a USB3 drive to shuttle between the PC and the NAS. You can then copy the data to the drive directly off the NAS.

Pops

I am afraid that you lost me a bit, I have the Hitachi configured with GPT and I understand that the MCM is configured as EXT4 I do not want to copy from the MCM, I want to upload to the MCM from the Hitachi. How do you “configure” the Hitachi or other drive to work with the MCM. Your words “Shuttle between” is confusing. I want to be able to primarily be able to read data(files, movies, pics) from the Hitachi to the MCM. It would also be nice but not necessary to read data off the MCM and then write it to the Hitachi. I do hope that this is clear. OK?

Thanks,
DL

Also, the data in the installation manual is very limited, practically none on how to use the USB 3.0 ports. The web page on using the ports is gone, I cannot access it.

Just more info,
DL

If you just connect the drive to the MCM USB ports, then it should appear as another share if it is in a format that the MCM can read (I’m not sure offhand if GPT is one or not). It will also mount and appear at the command line if you access the MCM that way.

I’ve done this with a couple of MyPassport drives (formatted as NTFS) in the past to bulk-populate the MCM with from their content. If that’s what you’re doing it’s also best to do it either via the web file viewer app in the MCM dashboard or if you’re comfortable doing so via an SSH log-in and the MCM command line. Don’t do it via an external machine (e.g. by dragging between shares visible to a laptop on your network) as any transfer that way will bounce via the laptop and incur speed reductions due to the network transfer between it and the MCM.

If you’ve plugged the drive into the USB ports and don’t see it as a new share on your MCM then I’d suspect that GPT is not a format that the MCM can work with, and you’d need to reformat it to one that does work (ext4 or NTFS for examples).

DarrenHill has summarised what was I was pointing out: if the NAS does not recognise the file system on the 1TB drive then it will not mount the partition. To some extent you appear to say that when you added the drive already it did not appear: -

I presume this is what you meant. I doubt it will simply accept the GPT formatted drive without reconfiguration.

Yes and this is where I said that you may need to wipe the drive to allow the NAS box to use it. However, since this is destructive you will need a method that bridges the two and this is where an external USB3 drive may be used. My suggestion was to take the contents off the 1TB drive and use a USB3 drive to shuttle between a laptop and the NAS to do this. If you want to use the 1TB drive internally to the NAS then it needs configuring - this will likely wipe it.

Pops