How can i tell if i have PAL or NTSC?

Hi!

How can i see if my device runs in PAL or NTSC mode? What happens if i hold the button to switch and it switches to NTSC here in Sweden…? Can i go back easily?

On NTSC sets, if you hold the paperclip reset button of the WDTV in for 10 seconds, the screen will start to roll and act all weird, as it tries to draw the 50Hz picture at a 60Hz clockspeed when the WDTV switches from NTSC to PAL.  Pushing the button again for another 10 seconds is all it takes to get back to NTSC.

I assume that it works similarly the other way around… the screen will get messed up due to the wrong refersh rate, but I don’t know exactly how it messes up the picture.

But yes, whatever happens when a PAL set tries to draw an NTSC picture, you can undo it by switching it back to PAL by pushing the button again.

Depending on your TV sometimes it just creates a Black and White picture. New TV’s are sometimes have multisystem support. My PAL TV will show a NTSC picture.

richUK wrote:

Depending on your TV sometimes it just creates a Black and White picture. New TV’s are sometimes have multisystem support. My PAL TV will show a NTSC picture.

Thanks all, i will try and see :slight_smile:

I can see in your SIG “beta 1.03.38”, can you recomend this, what have improved?

I have a small problem with the quality of the picture that’s why i asked about this NTSC and PAL.

The smallest text has a missing pixel syndrome, i’ve tried different HDMI settings but nothings helps…

My TV is an LG 42" HD Ready only, what is your conclusion regarding my TV? Do i need a 1080 HDMI cable to begin with, or is it something else? None of my HDMI cables is marked with a 1080 sticker or something. I’ve heard that if the cable is not marked with this 1080 you can get this type of problem i have… right or wrong?

I have a LG 32" HD TV and I just use an HDMI lead that I picked up very cheaply in a local supermarket. I am on the beta to check out the DVD menu’s and I normally stay on them if nothing goes wrong. I don’t know much about HDMI leads other than there is a lot of hype about buying expensive leads. The WDTV is HDMI 1.3 and you should normally buy a lead which supports that spec or above. As I said I bought a cheap lead without any markings and everything looks good to me.