How can I read the files on the hard drive with Windows 7

The LAN interface has failed on my 2TB MyBook Live…

I want to remove the drive and extract the data directly from the hard drive using a SATA USB and restore them to my Windows 7 PC - how can I do this?

The data is encrypted I doubt that you’ll be able to unless you take it to data recovery experts. None the less I would contact WD since the drive has a 3 year warranty they might be able to help you.

encrypted??

Right… the MBL doesn’t encrypt anything.

While I don’t know how to do what you’re asking, I can tell you that the files are certainly NOT encrypted…

Yes my understanding is it is EXT3 formatted because the drive runs on Linux.

I just want to get my data back then just get shot of the enclosure and software and reformat the hard drive and fit a suitable enclosure for the drive.

It’s actually EXT4…

They are in fact EXT4, however even with a linux machine, I was unable to read mine due to the data drive being formatted in 64k blocks. Only certain hardware can read this block size, so it seems unlikely to get the data directly.

Some people claim to have luck using recovery software, but I tried several solutions to no avail.

Why are you trying to get your data from a windows pc? Did the device lose connectivity? 

konstans wrote:

They are in fact EXT4, however even with a linux machine, I was unable to read mine due to the data drive being formatted in 64k blocks. Only certain hardware can read this block size, so it seems unlikely to get the data directly.

That’s not really true.

There’s no hardware limitation there…  Your kernel just wasn’t compiled to support it.  

There’s plenty of posts out there in netland on how to configure a Linux kernel to support 64kb blocksize / pagesize in EXT4 file systems…

I defer to more experienced linux users. You are more than likely correct.

I did speak from my recent experience, because I did recompile the kernel to no avail. Later I found some posts that mentioned hardware limitations, which doesn’t seem to be possible, but perhaps they were incorrect.

I will make a new attempt and maybe search for a LIVECD that would make this easier.

As explanation in fact I have had more trouble with the hard drive than I wanted.

I had the blue screen  on my lap top so bought the drive to store the data while I rebuilt the MC.

I suffered a bit with the DNS bug, moved to the new version only to suffer from the password lock out bug, had occasssional dropping off line. I reported the unit faulty but by the time the replacement arrived the unit would no longer connect.

So I just want my data back at a reasonable cost…

Diskinternals Linux Reader for Windows can read and copy data off a MyBookLive data partition if you remove the HDD from the MyBookLive Case and is absolutely FREE
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

See this thread for my original post
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Data-recover-on-a-My-Book-Live-2TB-HELP/m-p/430126#M12428

Also see my guide on how to remove the HDD from the MyBookLive case and unbrick using just Windows, a Live System Rescue CD and a thumbdrive
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724/highlight/true#M12669

Thanks - lost a few but got most of using this.

SO the solution is ask WD for permission to open. There are a few videos on the web.

Get a SATA USB cable and download Disk Internal application to copy files.