How can I be notified of Successful backkup as well as Failed backup using TimeMachineBackup?

I’m one of the many users of these WD MyCloud devices that has had nothing but successful experiences - I think. I need to install one now in an environment where there is no system administration so I need the system to notify by email when it is successful and when it has failed. Is there something I’m overlooking in the configuration to get this feature running?

The My Cloud has no clue when or what you’re backing up, so it wouldn’t be possible to know if anything passed or failed.

That’s completely under the control of the client.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The My Cloud has no clue when or what you’re backing up, so it wouldn’t be possible to know if anything passed or failed.

That’s completely under the control of the client.

That’s understood, I should have said I’m using the WD Smartware software that came with the WD MyCloud to do the backups on my (all Windows) clients and using the TimeMachineBackup as my target. How can the Smartware notify me of success or failure?

Are you saying you are using SmartWare and choosing Time Machine from the drop down menu? See example image below.

I use WD SmartWare too and on the Home tab, drop down menu I choose SmartWare for each of my computers, Desktop and my Laptop. See example image below for my results. If this is what you are doing you should see, Time Machine.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Yes - I see that message when I log in to each client, but my question is how can I be notified (via email?) since there is rarely an administrator on site to check all the clients. I need the Smartware Backup software to send me a message when it succeeds or fails.

Hi, J_Carter_AR. Did you find a way to be notified of backup failures?

No, apparently there is no way to push notifications of success from the WD and I have no indication they are working on one. I understand it informs us on failure, but there should also be an indication of success otherwise we could have a broken messaging process and believe we are successfully backing up when in reality it is failing but can’t notify us.

Not a good design in a disaster recovery design implementation.

How does it inform of a failure? Is dashboard the only way to know some files were not backed up or the task did not run at all?

MBL is not performing the backup job, so no way to know it and send notification. This would be an Apple and TimeMachine question.

However, it can probably be set with a script, check this…