How can a epub file be read by wd mycloud

i can upload a epub file to the wd mycloud. why is the wd mycloud not able to read this file format

The MyCloud is a storage device, not an epub reader…

If you are asking whether the MyCloud apps can read epub files, then you will probably need to add an epub reader app to whatever device you are using to run the MyCloud App, and then open the accessed file with the epub reader.

There are thousands of file formats. It is unreasonable to expect the MyCloud app to be able to open every one of them; File Explorer and Finder won’t open any file types; they associate a file type with a program, and launch the program to open files. The MyCloud app is best considered as a remote file browser, with the ability to open certain, common media file types.

What device are you using when you try to read an epub file, and if possible, have you choosen a default app to open it?

See example image below from my desktop, Microsoft OS 10.
Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

Have you done a search for an epub file app?

Yes you can copy any file to the My Cloud, ePub included.

Why do you expect the My Cloud to “read” the ePub file format? What device are you using and expecting the My Cloud to display the ePub file on?

The My Cloud is a basic network attached storage device (NAS) with limited remote access and media serving (DLNA/iTunes) capability. Think hard drive connected to the local network. It is NOT an ePub “reader”.

To read/view ePub files typically requires the use of a app or program on the mobile device or computer.

I would suggest you take some time, if you have not done so already to read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) to gain an understanding what the My Cloud is. What it is capable of. And how to configure/use the various options/features of the My Cloud.

There apparently is a third party web server application called BicBucStriim (http://projekte.textmulch.de/bicbucstriim/) that works in conjunction with Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to “stream” (in effect) electronic books from an NAS. Unknown if it would work on the My Cloud, one would need to use SSH to upload the program into the My Cloud and have Apache running (which it may already be) within the My Cloud. It appears the program initially designed for use on a Synology NAS.

i created a new folder called books and magazines on the wd mycloud menu…i click on the file pdf/or epub to upload to the mycloud app…the devices i use to open and read content are moble devices…ipad, iphone…pdf’s open fine…but epub doesnt…again i can successfully upload both files pdf and epub to wd mycloud app…but the epubs dont work…wont open…ping me…i can invite u to my cloud…where u can see for your self…how the epubs aren’t opening…
Thanks for your assistence…with this issue

If the WD mobile app (or file manager app) lists the epub file, but won’t open it; what specific error message does the WD app (or file manager app) give?

Chances are you will need to install an epub reader on the mobile device. Either that or the WD app (or file manager app) isn’t properly passing along the request to the installed epub reader app on the mobile device.

On my Android device (using the WD My Cloud mobile app for Android) it will list the epub file, but when I select it, because I don’t have an epub reader installed on the mobile device, I get the following message (note the epub file is listed in the screen shot):

You need to see if there are any apps that will work with your Apple devices for reading an epub.

I don’t have any epub files but here is a screenshot of my android phone showing apps that can be used to read them.

The apps are free.

Just to confirm, make sure to have an app that supports opening up ebook files.

On Android the FBReader app didn’t auto launch from within the My Cloud mobile app when the epub file was selected. But the eReader Prestigio app did work properly and open the epub file that was selected from the WD Cloud mobile app.