Horrible rsync performance on wd cloud vs My book live

Captain_Panaka wrote:

Regarding requirements on the computer side: WD did not advertise that you need a Multicore 6GB super- machine with Windows in order to get decent transfer speeds.

Multicore 6GB i3 supercomputer ???

Don’t make me laught! :laughing:

So what’s my 1000$ i7 16 gb???

A NSA data mining center???

LOL

50-60 MB/sec sustained i.e.  A snapshot from my woody allen collection transfer:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-transfer-speed/m-p/658949#M4705

In this case i used free file sync with mapped network shares (smb)  in win 8sp1 64 bit enterprise “un-metroed”  with my super NSA rig… LOL

Similar results with NFS. 

NAS was around 70% filled with files bigger than 700 MB (+ 90%)

Firm when buyed was 2 revisions old from now but it was updated to new at this moment ( 1 revision old from now). 

Heheh…  :laughing:

Win8.png

This is my kids’ cheap PC – a little gateway PC from Fry’s (on sale for $399 when I bought it) with Core i3 and 4GB RAM running Windows 8.  Just bought this PC a few months ago, and hardly ever use it since the kids use it.   Maybe I should swap my old one for the new one!  :)

Everyone, we are coming out with a firmware update for the WD My Cloud within the next two weeks to fix many of these issues.  However, you may not have had the same root cause that created the issue in your circumstance.  If that turns out to be the case, please make sure that you have correctly set up your WD My Cloud on your network.  If you need help with this, there is a link below to a knowledgebase article for setting up the WD My Cloud. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10439

Hey, folks – I just had an idea.

Might be real, might be tilting at windmills.

First, go check this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshoot-NAS-Performance-concerns/m-p/618695#U618695

I just updated that with a little information about IEEE 802.3x “Flow Control” which, not only does this NAS fully support (and is enabled by default) but appears to be actively functioning in my network.

Flow control has to be supported at BOTH ends of ALL links in order to be of full benefit.   The NAS, the Switch, and your PC(s) must support it to get the best results.

I just checked my switch statistics for Flow Control Pauses, and see the numbers increasing during large file transfers.  This is a GOOD THING.   Flow Control prevents a device from over-running the switches’ buffers by telling the sender to “Back Off” for a fraction of a second (VERY small fractions – HALF-MICROSECONDS at a time.)

This helps prevent TCP/IP retransmits, which cause significant slowdowns in otherwise fast networks.

My switches have 128Kbyte packet buffers.   So if the switch is sending Pause frames, that means the Cloud is sending data even faster than my switch can accept them.  

So if you’re using a switch that has tiny packet buffers (and MANY of them do) that can be a cause of slow performance.  The post I linked to above will tell you how to find out if that’s the case.

I don’t have any such switches to test on, so I can’t see what real benefit is coming from that.

A new firmware update has been released.  Below are the fixes.  We will continue to work on other fixes and push them out as soon as we can.  Note: If you are still experiencing problems, please post them in the new firmware board. 

Issues Resolved:

• Resolved issue of dropped mobile cloud access connections after updating to firmware 03.03.01-156.
  • Resolved issue of a scheduled safepoint update that does not run automatically.
  • Resolved issue of device performance degradation caused by certain MPEG-4 (MOV/MP4) video formats used to record slow motion videos.

WD-Fan wrote:

Bill_S:

I’m not going to ask how it is possible that yesterday you wrote that it will take max. 2 weeks because the next firmware must be thoroughly tested and today it becomes available …

You certainly know that the transfer speed using CIFS shares and using rsync is crucial for any NAS.

Since the latest firmware does not touch that I kindly ask to answer the following two questions:

a) What transfer speed can be expected when copying files above 1GB size via CIFS share from a fast PC connected via well functioning 1GB wired directly to MyCloud using fixed IPs at both ends?

(2 users in this community have stated speeds above 50 MB/s and published tests are higher than this number.)

b) What are the numbers when instead of CIFS mounts rsync is used?

c) When can we expect a firmware release that performs according to those specs?

As a WD-Fan I will patiently wait and only hope it will not take too long.

We did release the firmware within the two weeks.  The testing being done turned out positive, so we went ahead and released it, instead of waiting. 

I don’t have the information you are looking for.  If you would like that information, and if it is available, you will need to contact support for that.

Below is the contact information for WD’s Support. You can contact them either by phone or email.

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

WD-Fan wrote:

Thx for the fast reply which answered what I did not ask :wink:

And more thanks for the link I am going to use because I think that transfer speeds are crucial.

I’m assuming you’re referring to c).  We will continue to release firmware updates as soon as they become available.  As I have stated many times, I cannot give you an expected time of release.  We just simple don’t know. There are too many variables.

Captain_Panaka wrote:

Why do you get away stating such nonsense? How do you come to introduce the ugly word of conspiracy??  

I introduced the word.  You introduced the conspiracy when you accused me and other users of lying about their transfer speeds.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Horrible-rsync-performance-on-wd-cloud-vs-My-book-live/m-p/668033/highlight/true#M5851

Captain_Panaka wrote:

stop attacking other users and help to find out the reason and get a solution to the problem!

First, I have attacked no one.  Second, I’ve introduced several theories and troubleshooting steps.   You’ve ignored them all.  You answer no relevant questions.  That’s your choice, of course, but I will not cede to your _ demand _ that I do anything.  I choose to assist those that are willing to engage.

I have no idea who or what you think you are, but I’m not obligated to you or anyone else.

WD-Fan wrote:

@TonyPh12345

You must have overlooked that nobody accused you of lying (Read again that link you give).

Oh, really?

Captain_Panaka wrote: Imho these [users] either do _ faulty measurements or barefacedly lie… _   [emphasis mine]

No room for misunderstanding there…

Lets keep it friendly, this is a user to user forum for people to help each other out.  Back on topic, if you use rsync, you are on your own as this device was never advertise nor intended to use rsync. 

1 Like

Yeah, lets get a solution for our Firmware update for our units, much more important.

Please return to the Post of 3.03.02.165 update please. I wrote a post, tell me if I missed something there ?:stuck_out_tongue: