Hooking WD TV Live Stream to PC

I’m at a stand still connecting my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, to my PC.

From what I’ve been reading it’s thru Ethernet Cat-5… However my PC’s Ethernet jack is occupied by the cable modem input, no other opening for a Ethernet plugin.

It is a simple set up;

1) - Cable goes to modem.

2) - Modem (Ethernet cat-5e) to PC.

3) - PC (???) to WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

4) - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (HDMI) to TV

PC = Win 7 - Dual monitors.

Please help me understand what I’m doing wrong.

Thank you,

Larry

you need a router

modem -> router

router -> PC

router -> WD

1 Like

You don’t connect your player to your PC, you connect it to your modem/ router.
Has your modem got any other Ethernet connections. If there are no connectors on the modem you may have to buy a separate router.
Do you have wifi? If you do you can connect to your internet network via WiFi.

1 Like

L.ReeD wrote:

Please help me understand what I’m doing wrong.

What you are doing wrong, is that if you received a new unit, there is a quick setup guide in the box that shows you WITH PICTURES only how to set the darn thing up!  Did you even look at it?

richUK, no router or wifi… no extra Ethernet connections on the cable modem. If I need a router and that’s the answer then that’s what I will do. Thank you richUK for your explanation & time.

L.ReeD wrote:

richUK, no router or wifi… no extra Ethernet connections on the cable modem. If I need a router and that’s the answer then that’s what I will do. Thank you richUK for your explanation & time.

Apparently, you have been connected to the internet-only and by an ethernet cable directly between your modem output and your PC’s ethernet input.  Once you step out of the internet-only box, you definitely need a router, and not just any router.  You should buy a wireless router (they cost the same as one without wireless).  The router manages your ethernet signal, be it internet and/or connections between network appliances (and that is what your WDTV is).  You need to buy a Wireless-N router that gives you good wireless connectivity.  Work with a salesperson to get the best one for your needs.

You really ought to get the manuals for your particular WDTV, so go to www.wdc.com and go into the Support section, find your particular WDTV model, go into Downloads and get the manuals.  These manuals may also be on a CD that came with your unit.

1 Like

First I want to thank you for your time, and further explanation.

Mike I bought this little unit 1 yr & 3 wks ago, for medical reasons I was unable to do anything. The warranty had expired which drew me to this site. There is no CD in the box, I did get the PDF instructions and was going over them when richUK’s answer gave me the direction I needed.

I had Walmarts site up looking at routers… Mike again I want to thank you, your  further information is really appreciated.

Larry

Glad to help out, Larry.  Here is a link to help you out understanding networking, and especially wireless routers so you can find the right one.

An online place where I like to shop is named J&R.  They are a big retailer in the NYC area and have been around for a long time.

They have a series of online “Guides” to help folks shop. 

This is the link to their online guide to Networking:

http://www.jr.com/product/productGuide.jsp?contentPath=/Content/media/html/productGuides/Computers/networking.html

1 Like

As a side-effect, Larry, your Windows computer will be much safer once you connect it to the Internet via the new router, since that router will certainly include a firewall feature (make certain you set that up!).  This is one of the easiest and cheapest ways one can improve their computer’s security.  I would never, ever advise a home user to have a Windows machine directly accessible from the Internet.  Bad idea.