Homebrew now available

yes, I noticed, no issue about legality, my post focused on the license keys issue as well.

glad to see we’re both on the same page regarding support

and which forum users should pose their questions to

I appreciate your responses in this thread

and I think this is a good example for users

that shows there is a healthy amount of mutual respect between WD and the homebrew communities

and we both agree, if users have homebrew related questions/issue they should pose them in the correct forum

WDLXTV.com

Hi Bill, thanks for the response.

That answered my question and I would not be afraid to post that answer onto KAD79’s thumbdrive question. its honest and leaves no doubt.

I have done tech support for big corporations and I thoroughly sympathise with your position. The rules are written in stone at the top of the tree by people that are far removed from the coal face. They might even be sensible rules but there is no practical way to communicate any alternatives or better ways to do things. You have to work with what you have and I am sure you are doing everything you can for the community. Most people don’t understand how difficult it is to be flexible in a large corporation. Maybe thats just the nature of huge entities, it has to be that way or it all decends into chaos ! smaller businesses have the luxury/advantage to be flexible.

Thanks guys.

Any way you can update this homebrew using the latest firmware?

any reason your not posting about homebrew on wdlxtv.com?

Techflaws wrote:

I appreciate all the work on WDLXTV and I really hope WD takes the fact that people might prefer this over the original firmware as an incentive to figure out why that may be the case.

The only reason I’m looking at a homebrew is the Theme limitation that WD has on the SMP.

the point is

if you read above, both myself and WD stuff are all in agreement

homebrew questions should be posted at wdlxtv.com

as to your question, it takes quite a bit of time to update everything

KAD79 wrote:

the point is

if you read above, both myself and WD stuff are all in agreement

homebrew questions should be posted at wdlxtv.com

as to your question, it takes quite a bit of time to update everything

Yeah, I went back and started reading after posting the question above.

You could go back and edit your first post and redirect any questions to your website.

That would put an end to this confusion.

It has nothing to do with that.  We pulled it because what you’re offering can permanently disable some of the user services (Netflix and Hulu, specifically).  And, if you think you can update with someone’s homebrew, and then just reinstall our firmware, you still lose those services on the device.  This has been the case since the WD TV Live Plus.  You should be able to find that information on WDLXTV.com, as well.

So I installed this homebrew last week and went back to stock firmware. Are these services now screwed up? I don’t have netflix or hulu yet. Am I going to be surprised when I try them?

ok, I can add that to first post

I thought it was already obvious though from posting the links

should not have any issues with netflix or hulu

I’m a netflix subscriber

and I’ve switched back and forth and multiple occaisons

KAD79 wrote:

ok, I can add that to first post

I thought it was already obvious though from posting the links

should not have any issues with netflix or hulu

I’m a netflix subscriber

and I’ve switched back and forth and multiple occaisons

The problem is when someone new comes here.

Your site looks like part of the WD forum so I thought I was still reading something within the WD forum (public part of it?).

Your domain (WDLXTV.COM) makes one believe it’s still part of the WD community.

It takes days for someone to sort of this **bleep** out.

All I want to do is enjoy some nice themes without all the hacks. I been doing hacks for over 25 years.

Why doesn’t WD just put the themes on USB drives like you asked them?

That would solve so much!

Thanks!