Homebrew now available

surpise surpise,

it’s bug filled

but it’s been moved to public area

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7663

you might also want to see this, if you’re interested in running a theme from OSD

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7665

anybody want linksheets on the SMP :smiley:

edit: if you have questions please post them to the appropriate forum WDLXTV.com

3 Likes

Thanks KAD79… Count me in a Beta Tester. Kudos will be ported to Linksheets shortly (assuming it is as easy as it appears)…

Merry Xmas… Cheers LB

Nice. Maybe they can fix some bugs WD can’t be bother to deal with.

Linksheets on SPM…and a Kudos w/ Linksheets?!

:smileyvery-happy:

Wow, what a surprise  ! That’s really smashing …:dizzy_face::heart::dizzy_face:

This is great news. I was just about to sell it and get an Android/XBMC box, I shall wait now and see what dev’s can come up with :slight_smile:

great news will try and report back soon

best wishes

[Deleted]

I have the WD Live SMP Gen 3

I have installed your Homebrew with firmware from 1.12.14_WDLXTV_PALACE-0.0.2.zip

What I’m not finding is any updates to the firmware (if there are any).

When you do have an update, where would you post the updated firmware with the latest fixes?

Another question, after installing the homebrew and booting the device, you are presented with a firmware update option. I take it this is just the standard firmware update option from WD? What happens if someone accidentally updates to the latest WD firmware?

Thanks for your work!

updates would be posted in that thread or in the firmware download section of WDLXTV.com

yes the onscreen firmware update is the official, I would not take it

if somebody did accidentally update, I doubt it would mess anything up, but it hasn’t been tested yet

future firmware versions, will likely disable the online update mechanism, to prevent accidental updates

Why was the post of thegman deleted?

Just wanted to try it out and now?

don’t know why his post was deleted

just follow the links in first thread for relevant info

Thanks.

First I thought that he made an better explanation.

Now everything works fine. Linkssheets on my SMP. Thank you very much :).

Greetings

My post was deleted because i listed an actual procedure not just a concept. This WD forum belongs to WD and is for supporting their stock customers so posting an actual procedure is not legal as such. Makes sense now that I think about it. Other than announcing that homebrew is now available this is not really the appropriate forum to discuss it in any detail. of course my motives are pure and I see this as increasing sales and not decreasing them nevertheless we have to respect the WD forum rules.

ah

I couldn’t remember what the post was

but yes, that would make sense

of coarse like you already said WDLXTV.com is the more appropriate forum to discuss such things

thegman wrote:

My post was deleted because i listed an actual procedure not just a concept. This WD forum belongs to WD and is for supporting their stock customers so posting an actual procedure is not legal as such. Makes sense now that I think about it. Other than announcing that homebrew is now available this is not really the appropriate forum to discuss it in any detail. of course my motives are pure and I see this as increasing sales and not decreasing them nevertheless we have to respect the WD forum rules.

It has nothing to do with that.  We pulled it because what you’re offering can permanently disable some of the user services (Netflix and Hulu, specifically).  And, if you think you can update with someone’s homebrew, and then just reinstall our firmware, you still lose those services on the device.  This has been the case since the WD TV Live Plus.  You should be able to find that information on WDLXTV.com, as well.

1 Like

Thanks bill, I understand. I received a PM to “Keep it Legal” with a cut and paste of generic ways you might be able to infringe copyright and no other explanation so it seemed like the most logical reason at the time. I thought that this homebrew didn’t flash the device thus not losing the keys but people can refer to the wdlxtv forum to confirm this information.  

Actually while you’re there maybe you can advise : this post by KAD79 has been in the ideas section of the site since Sept 2012 but it is still listed as “new” without any comment from WD :

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/Run-custom-theme-from-thumbdrive/idi-p/502876

For me personally I wouldn’t have to leave the “stock firmware” world if this was implemented. Is it possible to give an answer one way or the other on this request ? I can tell you its amazingly great having linksheets !!! :slight_smile:

@Bill_S

surprised to see you respond here

for the record though

starting with the Live Plus there was a temporary issue, which was easily resolved and allows users to go back and forth between official firmwares and WDLXTV firmwares without loosing device keys

as for the new devices, The Hub & The SMP, it was explicitly decided, that WDLXTV would not be created for these devices if it risks any user loosing netflix or other device keys

which is why it’s taken quite some time before WDLXTV became available for these new devices

and I should note it’s still in very early stages

what has been made publicly available, posses no risk of deleting device keys

device keys are permanently deleted only if a custom (unsigned) firmware is flashed to the device

the current implementation of WDLXTV does not get flashed to any device

it boots directly from a thumbdrive and runs only from an attached thumbdrive, it is not flashable

because it never gets flashed device keys are completely intact, even while running WDLXTV and users are able to switch between WDLXTV and official firmwares anytime they want without loosing keys

anyways, my original post here is intended to give users a heads up that it is available

It’s not for everybody but does present some options

I also agree, that WDLXTV.com is the more appropriate forum to discuss such issues

and encourage users with questions that are homebrew related to visit the appropriate forum WDLXTV.com

I appreciate all the work on WDLXTV and I really hope WD takes the fact that people might prefer this over the original firmware as an incentive to figure out why that may be the case.

@ KAD79

I don’t know if you noticed, but I didn’t say anything about the legality of changing out the firmware.  I just focused on the losing the license keys.  Actually, these are your devices, and it’s already been decided legally that you have a right to do what you want with them.  We just aren’t responsible to fix them if you mess them up, or provide support for what you are doing to them.  Obviously, you guys know that.  And I really appreciate your attitude about it. 

My concern about discussing the WDLXTV here is simple: to prevent confusion.  So, thanks for taking it back to the WDLXTV forums.

@ Techflaws

You do have a good point, as usual.

@ thegman

Till now, we’ve not been very proactive when it comes to making changes to accommodate user themes.  That may or may not change in the future.  Also, there are “things” that determine how the firmware gets written.  So, we may be limited in what we can implement based on those “things.”  Sorry I can’t be more forthcoming.