Home cloud, vs remote cloud

Ok, I just experimented with this some more.

I was not port forwarding from my router (I am using non-standard ports) to the WD Cloud Box.

Once I enabled the port forward at the router, I disabled/re-enabled the Cloud access.

No OpenVPN running now… I guess the openvpn is a “fallback” mode if you are not forwarding ports on the router.

Very interesting…

Tony is correct… 

I did some more test as there was a mistake in my previous result… When the drive is conected via port forwrding.

A remote connection to it via e.g the iphone “wd cloud” app is DIRECT…It does not go through any other server…

Well, the VPN debate aside, I wish I could do that on my apple devices!! Apple won’t send the Bonjour broadcasts via the VPN when L2TP VPN is up. My corporate firewall blocks normal access to my devices except for the one that’s on 80/443. If I could use the app via my L2TP VPN, it’d be brighter days. :slight_smile:

Heheh… I’m glad y’all followed up! You were making me doubt my sanity! :slight_smile:

Tony,
Would you care to explain when you said "Apple won’t send the Bonjour broadcasts via the VPN when L2TP VPN is up. My corporate firewall blocks normal access to my devices except for the one that’s on 80/443. If I could use the app via my L2TP VPN, it’d be brighter days. "

Are you talking about using the Wd cloud app?
If so, if your corporate firewall allows 80/443 then why doesn’t your app connect?

Looking at dashboard from tablet (using pptp vpn) : Cloud Access on Remote Access Configure » Connection Status Connected (Relay connection established) Port forwarding failed to connect on port 7080 and port 7443. My router uses port 80 and 443 for other thingd so i forwaded this 2 ports for mycloud. The “fallback” relay connection doesn’t work for me neither upnp. As soon i close my pptp client and try to use mycloud apps they stay at login…

Sammarbell, try putting your Wd drives ip in the router DMZ and see if gets a direct connection and not relay

Also try using ports higher than 60000

Alirz: it will connect, but only to the NAS that happens to be using 80/443. I have several other WD NASes that are cloud enabled, so they use other ports. I can’t connect to them. Since I’m using UPnP, it seems like whichever NAS boots first (like after a power failure) gets 80/443, and the rest get some other combination.

Summer, if you’re manually configuring port forwarding in your router, you must also manually configure those ports in the My Cloud configuration. Have you done that?

It’s really a strange thing cause ftp server forwarding works even to stream movies to xbmc client on tablet!

Give me 20 minutes my fingers are wide and on screen keyboard is a nightmare.

Now that is funny I can’t change the ports on my cloud dashboard says error 200001 time out check connecitivty to internet.

It says that to my tablet connected via LTE and pptp so where is the problem of connectivity?

Between mycloud and a WD server?

Finally i arrived at home and in DMZ mode with default 80 and 443.

Test 1: MyCloud has direct access:

mycloud direct.PNG

Test 2: MyCloud with 7080 and 7443 still DMZ it use “fallback” openvpn WD AKA “relay connection”:

mycloud direct2.PNG

And just to be sure…

Test 3: Set again to default 80 and 443 still DMZ, guess what??? Direct fail again!!!

mycloud direct3.PNG

Port forwarding:

DMZ:

DHCP fixed IPs table:

?¿?¿

This afternoon (CET time here) i will try with higher ports around 60000.

Make sure when you manually setup the forwarding on your router that you do the following:

In your case:

Have router Forward 7080 to port 80 on the MyCloud 

Have router Forward 7443 to port 443 on the MyCloud

Don’t make the mistake of sending 7080 to 7080 on the MyCloud, etc.

Even when set custom ports on the MyCloud GUI, it still runs locally on the same ports.

That config is so it knows the OUTSIDE ports.

Reference:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526

It seems to be as you say.

My router uses 8080 and 8443 for his own dasboard so no luck with example ports in

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526

I remember that i tested them after trying 7080 to 80 — 7443 to 443 and 9080 to 80 ----- 9443 to 443 and still have problems.

Now at last it works with DMZ and without!

The main problems i see is that the connection is sloooow and intermitent compared to ftp stream and the soft is light years behind XBMC in aspects like user interface, responsiviness, format support (it plays everything!), customization, ect…

Now my setup works well streaming ftp i will try to enable openvpn client with tap connection on android something very dificult right now on android version higher than 4.0.

My goal is to use twonky server as broadcasting source over WAN what is not possible over pptp even in the same ip range upnp devices don’t show and don’t connect.

The pool for DHCP lan is 192.168.1.2 to 239 and for PPTP is from 192.168.1.240 to 249.

I’m able to open MyCloud dasboard remotely on his LAN ip.

Thanks Tony, My Book settings worked just fine to get port forwarding going with My Cloud. I see this thread got busy, I was starting to doubt the my info wont go to WD, but all the reading dispelled the myth.

So when I am one 4G the datat still goes straight from My Cloud to my wireless device, no relay?

If the port is forwarded you get direct connection if not forwarded it uses a relay trought WD server.

Dasboard will show you the via it’s used. (example first two pic from message 31).