High-Def MP4 files "stutter" on the WD Media Player (Gen 2). Anyone experience this?

I couldn’t figure out the problem… but I noticed it was always with my High-Def movies that played choppy on the TV. They played fine on the desktop computer, but connected to the WD Media Player on the TV, it played choppy.

Then, I saw that certain HD movies played smoothly. Then I figured out the pattern - all the AVI and M2TS played fine. The choppy HD movies were the MP4’s.

Anyone know why this is? Does WD plan on fixing this with an update? I could convert all the MP4 files to AVI, but that would take a long time. It takes like over an hour to convert each movie. Is there a quicker way? Anyone else have this problem with larger High-Def files in the MP4 format playing choppy?

One other thing, I tried converting them to MKV with the mkvmerge GUI program, and it doesn’t even play AT ALL on the WD Media Player. The MKV movies plays fine on my computer but not on the Player.

August

Did you check the codecs? Remember the MP4 or MKV are just container you need to check the codecs to see if the WDTV supports that. Check the user guide.

August wrote:

One other thing, I tried converting them to MKV with the mkvmerge GUI program, and it doesn’t even play AT ALL on the WD Media Player. The MKV movies plays fine on my computer but not on the Player.

August

One thing to bear in mind when using MKVmerge is to ensure header compression is not enabled.

Check out this article:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/faq.html#header_removal_compression

Specifically, you need to select ‘none’ as the compression scheme for the audio/video tracks.

It may be worth trying again with MKV containers, as they seem to work a little better with the WD TV…