High CPU and drives continualy active

I have just brought a 6TB Mycloud mirror, actualy its the 3rd one as the first two were faulty. 

I fianlt got it set up and coppled my iTunes library and iPhoto library across via the usb port. Fairly uneventfull apart from when I ran iPhoto it stated the DB was corrupt so had to rebuild it. (several hours later :-)…

All appeard to be ok BUT…

Since putting the iPhoto stuff on the drives have been continualy working like crazzy. even when all machines are switched off and there ae no connections to it. Also the CPU is pegging between 75-100% continualy. 

I have it configured as a Raid1 and Raid) split (50/50). DLNA is not enabled, no applications are loaded and I have 1.02.08

firmware installed.

The main culprets are convert and wdmcserver.

The drive is running 24/7 as the activity never stops and so is getting quite hot.

Any thoughts anyone? 

Cheers

![](/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/) ![](/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/)

Hi Tazzcc,

I don’t know how big your photo library may be or what kind of photos you may have, but is it possible that iPhoto is working on face recognition?
I recall it took a long time to “update” the photo library.

… Just curious, how come you got two faulty units in a row?

The two units were not faulty I found out later but wouldn’t connect to the network. The DHCP on the router had assigned an IP address but despite DHCP being set on the WD box it ignored it and fixed the address at some odd address. Nothing I could do got them to work. Same happened with the last one but I could set the address manually so thats what I did.

Photo library is quite big and the face recognition was going a bit mad but the disks were still shaking away when all macs were switched off.

So after spending all weekend dumping nearly 3Tb of data down onto the darn thing I reformatted it and it all went quiet.

It performs great with no data on :slight_smile: I will attempt tonight to copy the iTunes back and I think I’ll leave the iPhoto library on fixed storage until I can work out whats going on.

Thanks for the interest…

Same problem here… - with the latest firmware version the CPU is contanty running at 90-100%, leaving no room for other stuff… - the culprit is a process named “convert”, always running at full steam day in and day out…

I switched off all services and removed all users… - to no avail. My NAS My Cloud Mirrow 4 TB in Raid1 mode is slowed down dramatically… - write speeds between 0,1 MByte/sec and 15 MByte/sec (rarely, only huge files!) are dark middle age figures… - not to speak of waste of energy and tearing the drives to pieces in no time…

As is, the My Cloud Mirror is absolutely useless! Hope that the guys at WD can fix it soon!

Almstedt wrote:

Same problem here… - with the latest firmware version the CPU is contanty running at 90-100%, leaving no room for other stuff… - the culprit is a process named “convert”, always running at full steam day in and day out…

I switched off all services and removed all users… - to no avail. My NAS My Cloud Mirrow 4 TB in Raid1 mode is slowed down dramatically… - write speeds between 0,1 MByte/sec and 15 MByte/sec (rarely, only huge files!) are dark middle age figures… - not to speak of waste of energy and tearing the drives to pieces in no time…

As is, the My Cloud Mirror is absolutely useless! Hope that the guys at WD can fix it soon!

This issue is currently under investigation.