Hiding or removing Public share

Hello -

I bought 2 4TB My Clouds.

My sole purpose for these devices is to backup computers on a gigabit Windows network.

It would seem that a simple solution to this problem would be to be able to disable or delete the Public share, or, rename the device or shares to have a $ appended to the name.

Is there any way to disable public access to this device on a Windows network?

I guess I could try to rig something up whereby the device sits on a different subnet, but it seems to me that this should be a setting within the device.

Even if there were a way to command line into the device and change some Linux settings to achieve this - that would be fine by me.

TIA!

yes, just go to shares and turn off Public Access then you will have to specify which user will have access to the public folders. You cannot delete Public, nor can you rename the Public shares.

Once you have turned off Public Access, it is best to create a new share so you can better control over the name and access then the Public Share one and also remember to turn off the Public Access and assign User access to the new folder.

Do all this before adding files as I found out the hard way since it will take forever when the tiny 600mhz device attempts to change the rights to 3.2TB of files. 

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t think you can turn off public access to the Public share.  The button to do that is greyed out.  However, you can do that to the other shares.

Unless I’m missing something?

You may want to look at and try this. Click on Start and then Network. Click on WDMyCloud and select Public Share then right click on Public Share and select Properties>Security. See image below. Check it out and see if you think this will do what you want it to.

that is interesting… mine was on and I managed to click on it… and now it is greyed out and I cannot turn it back on :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably different versions of the software. 

In any case, just don’t use the Public share folder as this seems to be a permanent fixture of the WD Cloud, although if you SSH into the device, you can see it under /shares/Public and I’m tempted to remove it, but I’ll bet there are some hard coded  Pulbic folder paths somewhere and the device would probably crash.

I do know that using SSH you can actually change the ownership and the rights to the folder using chmod and chown without seemingly any disasterous effect.

Ralphael

Go back to the dashboard and try to change the name of the Public folder and click save. While it will not allow you to change the name you should be able to turn it back on. This was brought up in another discussion.

cat0w wrote:

Ralphael

Go back to the dashboard and try to change the name of the Public folder and click save. While it will not allow you to change the name you should be able to turn it back on. This was brought up in another discussion.

that did the trick… and perhaps that was why it was “ON” and I was able to change it? because I did try to change the name of the Public folder and got that error… then I proceeded to click on the OFF button for public access… then it hunged :stuck_out_tongue:

It stayed hunged, so I simply refresh my WEB/UI and found the button greyed out… I suspected that it was changing the permissions of all 3.2TB of data. 

Due to this, I created new shares and actually SSH and “mv” the folders from public to my private shares, thus leaving my Public folder empty and all my users with no access to Public.

All great suggestions here.

I’ll putz around with them and let you all know.

Thank you!