Hidden .wdmc directories created by mcserver and photodbmerger and the deletion of them

Maybe it goes without saying but I changed the root password too.

Jacob

JacobChrist wrote:

I canā€™t find a thread like this for the MyPassport.

On this drive the init.d there is no photoshare daemon but I did find these:

S85wdmcserverd

S92twonkyserver

S92wdnotifierd

I canā€™t stop the S92wdnotifierd

The update-rc.d commands donā€™t work.

Also there isnā€™t a specific veto file for samba, so I just made a back up of smb.conf and edited the veto line to remove the .* files.

sounds like you did a wonderful job. Are you able to see the .wdmc files when viewing on a PC. You wonā€™t be able to see them on a Mac because the . prefix hides them regardless of the samba veto file.

The wdmcserver will create these files.

You donā€™t need to stop wdnotifierd nor do you really need to stop the twonkyserver; just turn off twonky if you are not using it.

So copy and paste this in the MyPassport forum and you will become the MyPassport Guru. 

Congrats

I still donā€™t get it why WD stuffed alll the .wdmc directories to be indispersed with all the userā€™s data. Would have been a lot better under itā€™s own separate and hidden directory tree.  Itā€™s more of an issue when used on the My Passport Wireless thatā€™s connected to a computer by USB.

SectorGZ wrote:

What choice do you have? We are all in the same situation, so either we live with the My Cloud ā€œas isā€ or try to make it useful. I seriously doubt WD will change these useless files from being created nor give a script file to be initiated that will delete the files without losing your warranty. WD has enough issues with just firmware at the moment.

Iā€™m using My Cloud EX2

I enterĀ /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop and keep getting permission denied. Then I tried chmod 644Ā /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd and still nothing.Ā 

Thank you, BUT: In the Very First Line: What does it Mean to ā€˜SSH to the deviceā€™? The only place I see the letters SSH in my dashboard, says it will VOID MY WARRANTY if I click it, is this a trick?

then ā€¦ Once I understand the first line, How exactly does one DO the next things you are listing? STOPPING things etcā€¦? Can you PLEASE do an actual Step-by-Step with some actual STEPS ? :slight_smile: ;~)

1 Like

REALLY?
THE solution at WESTERN DIGITAL Support Forum, to fix this thing and make it not SUICIDE is to VOID THE WARRANTY? Am I the only (other :slight_smile: one that seeā€™s this as not only insane but VERY CONVENIENT on WDā€™s Part? Get us to void our warranty on a defunct bad product then refuse to fix it after the fact. PERFECT.,ā€¦ I am going to ask for a 4TB MYBOOK replacement.

Thanks for the tip. I can say that I am not happy with my WD Cloud device and I would never recommend this thing to anyone.

I canā€™t image why rebuild takes so long. I doubt it is scanning the content of each file so at most it needs an index of all the files, this shouldnā€™t take half a day.

1 Like

Any chance you could confirm that works on a a ext2 ultra too?

Sorry for reviving this thread.

Iā€™m also curious about a procedure to stop this indexing on EX2U (with OS 5).

I had to disable ā€œCloud Serviceā€ after I copied ~1TB of data (photos, music, videos) into the NAS and the machine was running/clicking non-stop for several days, without any indication of ā€œcompleted statusā€ and the iOS app being totally unresponsive.

Please note that the information contained in this subforum (OS3/My Cloud) deals with OS3 on the single bay/single drive My Cloud units. The single bay My Cloud units are not supported by OS5. Following any directions to modify the OS3 system by stopping services or deleting hidden directories on an OS5 system may result in unexpected results on OS5 and or possibly even brick the unit.

If one hasnā€™t done so already, see the dedicated OS5 subforums for their device and inquire there where users more familiar with OS5 may be able to assist.

The specific subforumm for the OS5 EX Series.

Excellent information. I did it over My Cloud with firmware 4.

I have everything disabled. but I changed the drive with a WD 8TB drive and was coping back lot of mp4 files and the performance went from 70mB to 6mB after couple of hours. And I saw that it was trying to index files and stuff, despite that I disable media everywhere in config.

THANKS!