Hi, My passport 1 TB is not initialized,

Hi, My passport is not initialized, it is not showing in Disk management, Storage as it is asking GPT or MBR, I am using windows 8.1, i have stored many files which is required to backup, i don’t want to loose it, I tried cable,port etc, all are ok, i think partition is always prob, with old Win XP and Win 8.1 version. Always currupt and disk not initialized.

Can anyone help me to recover data as well as detection of hard disk?

A workmate and me are experiencing exactly the same problem. Our hard drives stopped working yesterday. Windows 10 does not recognize the drive at all and Mac displays a “not initialized” error message.

Both hard drives are WD My Passport 1TB and were connected to windows 10 machines at the time of failure.

Any help?

If it’s not showing up in device manager you may want to try a new cable. If that doesn’t do it it’s a drive problem.

Banzai, are they partitioned NTFS?

Yes, partition is NTFS, WIN 8.1 supports GPT and NTFS most probably.

Hi @datarecovery_guy,

Yes, mine was partitioned NTFS. It is showing up in device manager as not initialised, unpartitioned and all space as available, but I had 3 NTFS partitions. I guess that the partition table or the MBR is dead…

I have checked the drive with all TestDisk, MiniTool Partition Wizard and MiniTool Power Data Recovery but they does not find any file. I will finally check it with GParted when I have some free time.

Do you have any idea about how to fix it?

When you say “fix it”… you can just reformat the drive…BUT if you need the files don’t do that.
What recovery software did you use?

Hi, Download Free Data Recovery software of Stellar It gives the option to search lost volume and allows to recover data from it. I believe this is the perfect solution for you.

Thanks bro, i will try it and come back to you.

@datarecovery_guy I really need to recover the data. Then the drive will go to the trash.

As I posted earlier, the software I used is TestDisk, MiniTool Partition Wizard and MiniTool Power Data Recovery but they didn’t find any file or just didn’t find any partition because the drive is not initialised.

@datarecovery_guy please let me know if you have any suggestion. I will try @oliverpowell suggestion and come back to the forum.

If the software is not seeing the drive we would need to diagnose the drive in our lab for professional data recovery.
There is nothing else we can guide you through at this point.