HHD not working... help

Hi, anyone know how to solve the following:
I had completed a deep defrag with Norton Utilities, although not sure whether it completed. The HHD which is was an internal WD 2TB caviar green stopped working and mentioned a MBR problem.

Anyway, a purchase later… and I have a new tower (running win 10). However I want to take stuff off the old internal drive; so I bought a Dynamode enclosure (USB-HD3.5S-3.0) thinking it would recognise like a USB but it doesn’t - checked Device Manager as well (error code 43).

I have plugged it into a USB 2.0 port on a laptop running 8.1 pro, checked in Disk Management and it does not show up.

If I had hair it would be cast around me - frustrated and at a loss on how to fix it. Any good folk with knowledge and willing to share out there?

Appreciate any help, although it would have to be in simple language - if you know what I mean. Kind regards

Hello,

This is a hard one. The drive does not work internally, but it works on a external USB adapter.

Did you try using a different set of cables? perhaps a different Sata port?

Hi ERmorel

Yes, tried that. Also in Windows 10 it did show up on the Disk Management, but would not let me initiate the drive, it had given it a drive letter, however could not access through DOS or file explorer when in the OS win 10. When entering BIOS it does see a SATA 2 in the boot up sequence, but when selected it goes through the same motion in start up sequence and falters - stating looking for boot sector.

The drive once powered up you can hear the spinning, without any clicking.

I suppose the only other thing I can try is replace the circuit board holding the memory attached to the drive…? Unless you have any other potential way forwards. Appreciate your response so far, anything with potential tries would be greatly received. Thank you.

It is also worth saying that prior to the disk not working there was no evidence of it being unstable - I still lean towards the deep defrag in Norton Utilities.