Help...Xbox ruined my life

Hello & thank you for taking the time to read my problem.

I have a WD400 passport external HD which I use as my audio & video file back-up. Well my son decided or needed to back up his xbox games, scores, etc. So he just plugged my HD into the xbox thinking it would just add to the existing files. Well it didn’t.

All my files are gone. I can see 16.5 gig of xbox data files.

Any way of getting my files back?

When I plug in my usb HD the WD auto program is gone as well. But you can still drag & drop to the HD as a straight storage device. (I tested it with a small 19k file)

Thanks!

I think Xbox has to reformat the drive in order to use it.  That’s why your data is gone.  You might try to find data recovery software that will find overwritten files and use that to recover the files you lost.

Whatever data were overwritten by those Xbox files are now lost. :frowning:

Your drive would have been initially formatted with a Microsoft NTFS file system. As silly as it sounds, the Xbox, also a Microsoft product, doesn’t understand NTFS. I suspect, therefore, that the Xbox has repartitioned and formatted your drive as Fat32.

To maximise your chances of retrieving at least some of your data, do not write to the drive. The first thing to do is to survey the damage. To this end, could we see the partition table and boot sector with Microsoft’s Sector Inspector?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

Extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file. The procedure will generate a report file named SIout.txt which you can then upload to a file sharing service so that we can examine it.