Help with WD1002FAEX bad sectors?

Hi,

Recently (probably 6 to 12 months ago - I’m looking for the receipt at the moment) I purchased a WD1002FAEX 1TB drive, and I’m starting to have problems with it.

The drive is not my main hard drive, and I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

This all started a few days ago.

Whenever I boot up my computer, the drive will either:

1.  Not show up in My Computer at all.

2.  Show up in My Computer, and work, but be laggy, and eventually disconnect after being used for a little bit.

3.  Show up in My Computer, but not work, be listed as 0 bytes in size, Windows tells me I don’t have permission to access the drive, etc.

When trouble first started a few days ago, it was mostly (1) or (2), but now it’s mostly (1) and sometimes (3).

I downloaded the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool and ran it and this is what it says:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Unit Serial Number: <Removed>
Firmware Number: 05.01D05
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 11:41:44, May 26, 2012
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Unit Serial Number: <Removed>
Firmware Number: 05.01D05
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 17:13:10, May 26, 2012

I’ve removed the serial number, but the rest of the test results are there.  WD Data LifeGuard does not give me the option to try to repair the drive.

What other options do I have for trying to repair this drive?  Or is it no longer possible to repair?  Can I recover my data on the drive?

Thanks in advance.

If you can run the DLG test, you should also be able to use a data recovery program. Once you recover your files replace it. 

1 Like

IMO the best chance for DIY data recovery is to clone your drive, sector by sector, using a utility (eg ddrescue) that understands how to work around bad sectors. Then use data recovery software on your clone.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

1 Like