Help with setting up a wireless connection?

I bought the WD MyCloud when I saw it at Best Buy. I was like, oh this is great! I can have access to files anytime I want whenever I need to edit something on the fly because video-editing is all about speed.

But, I was kind of unhappy when I unboxed it and saw that it had an ethernet cord that I need to attach to a router.

The only problem is the router is in my roommate’s room (because that room used to belong to my brother).

I feel uncomfortable about leaving my drive there and taking up one of her outlet sockets.

Is there any way I can make the My Cloud work for a wireless connection?

Otherwise…it feels useless to keep it around if I’m not even going to use the network. Might as well just exchange it for an external drive and deal with lugging around a drive whenever i need to edit something.  

Hi,

there are three options:

• Get a long Ethernet cable / move the router to another room
  • Get a WiFi Bridge / Range Extender with Ethernet Port
  • Get a PowerLine network adapter

A few devices (there might be better/cheaper ones from different manufacturers of course ):

NETGEAR - Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender with 4-port Ethernet Switch
NETGEAR - Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender with Ethernet port

Unfortunately it costs extra money and might be slower (has only 802.11n with 300Mbps)

The cheapest one (~20USD) is probably the TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router which can be configured in bridge mode, but I wouldn’t expect great performance…

If you want to go wired you could also use a PowerLine Network adapter like D-Link PowerLine or from another manufacturer, they usually go up to higher speeds (500Mbit/s+)

there are wireless ethernet adapters which you can purchase which will make your WD MC into a wireless device

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6/ref=pd_cp_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386063547&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+ethernet+adapter

It is always better to have a wired connection from a storage device like MyCloud to your router. Wifi will degrade the performance of this nice piece of hardware. I would just get a long ethernet cable and connect it directly to the router.

anshum888 wrote:

… I need to edit something on the fly because video-editing is all about speed.

Is there any way I can make the My Cloud work for a wireless connection?

Those two requirements seem, to me, to be wholly contradictory.