Help, Video Stops Playing

Hello, I just purchased a WD TV Live model WDBHG70000NBK-HESN and I’m using it with an external WD 2TB My Book hard drive. I’m having a problem with some of my movies stopping while playing. The video disappears as if I’d hit the back button but the sound from the movie can still be heard while back in the screen with the actual file. It seems to happen in five minute intervals sometimes and other times it’s random. Sometimes a file will play for five minutes and then you resume play and it’s fine for the remainder. I’m not streaming anything and the files that I have tried are mostly avi files.  I tried turning the screensaver off to see if that might fix the issue and it still happens. Please help, Thanks.

Try disabling the Network Share Server. Apparently it solves MKV playback problems, but you never know, it may fix your AVI playback problem too.

Ok thanks for the advice. I turned off the network share server and also disabled the media library. I actually had the hard drive formatted as FAT32 for my PS3 so I reformatted to NTFS. Seems to run alot smoother

This problem is starting to pop up pretty frequently now. Strider’s remedy should fix it. However, I’ve had it happen with MKV files. It started happening with the latest firmware. Just rollback and you should be okay. Good luck

Update: WD pulled firmware files to rollback, sorry

Problem is still happening. I never updated the firmware at all when this started happening so i don’t think thats the cause. I actually updated for the first time last night hoping that would get rid of the problem but it didn’t. I plan on trying to reset it ro see if that does anything. If not, I’ll try using the front USB port instead of the rear one to see if that makes a difference. I’m honestly about to call it quits with this product. 120 bucks and the **bleep** thing can’t do what it’s made to do. Are you kidding me? And instead of the firmware updates actually fixing problems I see accuweather updates here and media library updates there. Seriously, c’mon WD

This this thing doesnt work for me either. I purchased it recently.

I get the message ‘please check for supported file formats’ when trying to play any common movie files like avi and others that are in fact supported.   I formated my USB stick in several ways and still nothing. I’m using latest firmware. (USB stick works on PS3 and Samsung TV) but not on this black box.

Piece of junk. 

Keisersozze79 wrote:

I get the message ‘please check for supported file formats’ when trying to play any common movie files like avi and others that are in fact supported. 

Keep in mind that AVI is just a CONTAINER .  and the CONTAINER *is* supported.  

But the CONTENTS also must be supported. 

Please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for such a file.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the response. My point is that PS3 and my TV that has a UBS port plays this stuff fine and this box doesn’t. Unfortunetely this player isn’t for me but a gift for my parents who can’t use this thing now.

Can’t seem to copy and paste info from mediainfo. Below is one of all files that I can’t play. Hope that helps. Latest USB stick format that I tried was ntsf with windows xp.

AVI 1.37gib

1 video stream: mpeg-4

visual (xvid)

1 audio stream :ac-3

Video 1 018 kbps, 720x304 at 23.967 fps, Mpeg-4 visual (xvid) (packed bistream) (advanced simple@L5)(BVOP4)

Audio

448kbps, 48.0khz, 16 bits, 6channels, ac-3

Also, there is no way to stream from my mac to the box is there? When I go to stream media only ‘Windows’ and ‘Linux’ options appear.  I can see the box on my mac though in the shared folder.

Can’t seem to copy and paste info from mediainfo.

• *switch it to TEXT view.

Thanks, Here it is.

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

File size                                : 1.37 GiB

Duration                                 : 2h 13mn

Overall bit rate                         : 1 476 Kbps

Writing application                      : SaM-XBT

Writing library                          : VirtualDub build 32618/release

Copyright                                : SaM

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual

Format profile                           : Advanced Simple@L5

Format settings, BVOP                    : 4

Format settings, QPel                    : No

Format settings, GMC                     : No warppoints

Format settings, Matrix                  : Default (MPEG)

Muxing mode                              : Packed bitstream

Codec ID                                 : XVID

Codec ID/Hint                            : XviD

Bit rate                                 : 1 018 Kbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 304 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1

Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.194

Stream size                              : 970 MiB (69%)

Writing library                          : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Codec ID                                 : 2000

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 448 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 427 MiB (30%)

Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration                     : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)

Interleave, preload duration             : 512 ms

Judging from the lack of responses I take it that I should just return this thing and buy something from a different company that does what it advertieses.