Help to fix HDD

Something happened with hard drive. When computer starts, I get message Third Sata Disk Master: CHS, PIO and system stop.

I plugged this hdd to external enclosure hdd through usb. Windows don’t see disk at all but Hard Disk Sentinel does.

All data about disk (size, file system, temperature etc) is unknown. I ran surface test - successful.

Please help me to resolve this problem. Is there any utils that can test electronic part of hard drive like microscopes to find out if it possible to repair it. Maybe like reinstalling hdd bios or something. It complicated for me to use tech service and i would like to try resolve it myself if it’s possible. Need soft and instructions.

Hi SlayeRAIN, try running a DLG test, to see if the can recognize the hard drive. Check the link below for the steps. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows 

1 Like

thank u for respond.

i did what u recomended. bc my system stop when my hard drive pluged directly through sata, i use enclosure hdd.

in running DLG i see all harddrives but the one that has an issue has status Not available in the Smart status column. Seial number and capacity also empty.

I ran quick and extanded tests - both pass. But i really don’t want to run write zeros test bc it will destroy all my data. Something telling me it’s not hdd surface problem.

Here is result of testing:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number:  
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number:  
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 13:29:38, December 14, 2013
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number:  
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number:  
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 13:29:43, December 14, 2013

By the way both tests were running only few seconds. Not sure if it’s suppose to be like that specially for extended test.

Any ideas?

Hi again, since both test passed, it seems that the problem is with data corruption, if you need to recover your files, you can try using a data recovery program, using Google you should find several options. After recovering your files you can format the hard drive to use it again normally. 

but how does it explain empty fields in smart status, serial number, hard drive capacity?

Few hours of scanning with recovery program and I didn’t find any single file. I tried to plug it to different sata again, and computer started but while windows loading it crash it even in safe mode. Now in “hard drive sentinel” and recovery program (7-data recovery suite) I see total capacity 2TB which is weird bc my hard drive is 1TB.

As far as I know hdd divide on mechanic part (the whole thing with 4 connectors to scheme) and electronic part (scheme that screwed to mechanic part). No matter how hard mechanic part damage even if u hit it with hammer, electronic part always show what hard drive, serial number, vendor and so on hard drive is. Obviously this issue not in mechanic part. Is there any specialized program for checking WD electronic part? You know, to make sure if microchips is alive. If it’s just data damage in electronic part I believe it can be fixed with reinstalling “hdd bios”, but if it’s physical malfunction in electronic part like microchip burned or something, I can pretty much throw it in the garbage.