Help recovering old files - .ptl extension

Hi, I am seeking advice for recovering files from a laptop that I installed WD Backup Anywhere, backing up to a My Book World Edition. The laptop died (may it rest in peace) – the My Book was a secondary backup, so I did not attempt to recover all the files from the old laptop when I got new one. Now, several years later, I need a couple files. I am still using the same HD on my new computer, but when I went to Restore Anywhere, I could not find the old backup plan. I opened the HD in Windows explorer and found the old backup plan, and then the files. Some of them are fine and I was able to copy them to my new computer, but some of them seem to be encrypted with a .ptl extension. Any idea about how I can open these and recover my old files? The old system was XP and I am now running Windows 7 – the files might have been compressed by windows on the old computer before they were backed up. I could not find any information about the .ptl extension online anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Were you able to recover your data?

No, I have not been able to.

I am not sure if this because I cannot open any files using Upload anywhere (because the computer that has the backup plan for that folder has died and gone to computer heaven) or because they were compressed by windows before Backup anywhere got to them. Either way, they are there on the hard drive but I am not able to open them.

They are, or were, large mp4 files of original music. I noticed several other files on the hard drive that seem to be broken into different .ptl files as well.

Any info would help.

Thanks,

Charles

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en