Help Recovering EX4100 files using Ubuntu PC

Hi,
I have had a failure of my EX4100 NAS and wondered if anyone can help me recover files from the 2 x 1TB drives I had in the NAS as a RAID 1 array. I have access to a computer running Ubuntu but when I plug a drive into it, it appears as a 1TB drive but with nothing on it. I have run the command ‘lsblk -a’ and it reports the drive as being of type ‘loop’. At this point my limited knowledge of Linux runs out so can anyone help me with simple instructions on if (how) I can mount this type of drive and read files off it ?
Thanks
PhilipJ

Sorry, ignore the above about a ‘loop’ type device, I am confusing the drive with something else on the Ubuntu computer. Thew drive out of my NAS appear on the Ubuntu computer as:
sdk 8:160 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdk1 8:161 0 2G 0 part
├─sdk2 8:162 0 461.8G 0 part
├─sdk3 8:163 0 1G 0 part
└─sdk4 8:164 0 1G 0 part /media/philip/bbd8c726-19cf-4237-bb05-b46200033

but as mentioned previously, the drive that appears on the Ubuntu desktop as “bbd8c726-19cf-4237-bb05-b46200033” has no files in it, and I know it should have because I only recently successfully copied a whole bunch of music media files to it.
Any help would be much appreciated
PhilipJ

@PhilipJ451,

I know this is quite a period of time since your post, but are you sure the drives in question are 2 x 1TB drives ? The snippet you posted above would indicate the drive is only 500GB. If you have them in a RAIS 1 config, it should be possible to mount both drives into a Ubuntu server like you have done and then scan for the RAID meta devices via the use of “mdadm” and once the RAID metadevice is visible mount this using a command like :

# mdadm -A -R --scan
# mdadm --detail /dev/md1
# cat /proc/mdstat
< If this has worked you will hopefully have a "md1" entry" which should be the raid members for your RAID 1 partition >
# mkdir /mnt/nas
# mount -t ext4 /dev/md1 /mnt/nas

Cheers,

JediNite

Hi, it has been a while but thanks for your response. I can’t remember now what the outcome was to my issue but I think I did use ‘madm’ in some way to get access to the drive.
Thanks for the advice
Philip

Glad you got it working. I’ve just had a QNAP NAS die and unfortunately you can’t just mount the drives on them into a Linux PC and get it working. Took a lot of mucking around and two weeks for me to get all the relevant data I was after.