Help recover family photos from old WDXB1200JBR

Hello, over 10 Years ago we stored our family pics on this WD external drive model no WDXB1200JBR. The original cords were thrown out but it appears that it needs a USB 2.0 cable but all i have are the USB 2.0 printer cables and it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t know if its because I don’t have the software for it but i assume it would work just like any other external hard drive. Does anyone know if there is a specialized USB 2.0 cord for this device or is there a trick to making the USB 2.0 printer cables work? These are treasured memories that would be impossible to replace so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

The drive has two interfaces, a IEEE 1394 (FireWire) and USB 2.0. So you can either get a FireWire 400 (6-to-6 pin) or a USB cable for connectivity:

2 x FireWire - 6 pin FireWire
1 x USB 2.0 (input) - 4 pin USB Type B
2 x USB 2.0 (output) - 4 pin USB Type A

Thank you Jonty. I’ve ordered the firewire interface to see if that will work. The USB 2.0 does not work. Do you know if its not compatible with the latest Microsoft office?

image001.jpg

First try replacing the cable and check if you can get the access to the drive. If after getting access you’re unable to see any data then might be some issue with the drive which makes the data inaccessible. In that case, try using a reliable data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery or Recuva to recover your data from the unresponsive drive.

Thanks Mikes2. I opened it up and found that the plug for the printer cable was damaged internally. The hard drive is intact but has an odd long multi-pin connection that prevents me from just plugging it into an old desktop. I’m going to try and take it to a data recovery shop