HELP PLEASE RE VIDEO AND linking as a NAS to my bluray player

hi new to this and the forum , ive just purchased the WD live book 2TB set up ok but wont play and video files i add to the shared folder there there but keeps saying canot play file via dnla on blu ray (panasonic) all music files are fine , im trying remuxing a MKV file hoping this works , not best pleased as thought this would be a painless process any help tips would be welcome .

thanks

What kind do video files are they? Does your Panasonic support the format?

mkv ive had them working via serviio so i guess that it does support them , they play fine off a hard drive direct into the bluray via a USB port .

Serviio is a transcoding DLNA server.   Just because it worked on Serviio doesn’t mean it’ll work on any other DLNA server.

IM LOST Any video file is failing to play , also on the x box 360 ,ive resored to factory settings once and going to strat from scratch  , should i convert files i though just dropping video into the share file and it would play , im also trying to set it up as a NAS but blu ray player wont coonect to it .

You’re going to have to be more specific.   Certainly it’s not “any” video file – that would mean your player is a piece of junk.

You need to look at the player’s specifications to determine what video formats, audio formats, and file types it supports via DLNA and ensure your media files match the specifications.

It’d be helpful if you actually mention what exact player you’re trying to use, and more about the files you’re trying to play.

Start by posting the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for such a file.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

sorry im quite new to this , im using a panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu ray player, im looking around to see what it supports , ive attempted MKV files and also mp4 both refused to play

think ive cracked it , set up as a NAS AND playing fine at the min, thank the lord thanks for your help 

re the player , got this info re supported formats, cant understand why DNLA function not working properly . http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-bdt220_Blu-ray-Player_review_features-and-operation_Page-2

The Wi-Fi connection also allows you to stream content from DLNA media servers running Windows 7 on your home network – as well as recordings stored on networked Panasonic DIGA recorders. Compatibility is limited to the file formats supported by Windows Media Player (including MP3, JPEG, DivX, AVCHD, MKV, WAV and FLAC) when using DLNA, but the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 also lets you connect to non-DLNA NAS drives and play a wider range of formats.

Other network related functions include smartphone/tablet control and the ability to play media content on your smartphone from networked DLNA devices, using the DMP-BDT220 as the middleman. The BDT220 is also compatible with Wi-Fi Direct, lets you connect devices to the BDT220 without getting a router involved.

If you prefer a more local form of media playback, then the USB port allows you to play DivX, MKV, MP4, MPEG, JPEG, MPO, MP3, FLAC and WAV from storage devices up to 2TB in capacity. From SD (SDHC, SDXC) cards you can play AVCHD, AVCHD 3D, MP4, MPEG2, JPEG and MPO.

The Panasonic BDT220 is 3D-ready, with a range of adjustments that let you find the perfect 3D effect – including a feathered frame that diffuses the image at the edges and makes it more comfortable to watch. The deck can also turn 2D material into pseudo 3D, not only for DVDs but internet content too.

And like the BDT320 you get a range of picture enhancement modes, including Chroma Process, Detail Clarity, Super Resolution and two types of noise reduction. For audio, you’ll also find Night Surround, Re-Master and Dialogue Enhancer, but some of the sound modes found on the BDT320 are missing, including Digital Tube Sound and High Clarity Sound, making the BDT320 a better option for music lovers.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-bdt220_Blu-ray-Player_review_features-and-operation_Page-2#gE1wEXtiyQlRKKDZ.99

The Wi-Fi connection also allows you to stream content from DLNA media servers running Windows 7 on your home network – as well as recordings stored on networked Panasonic DIGA recorders. Compatibility is limited to the file formats supported by Windows Media Player (including MP3, JPEG, DivX, AVCHD, MKV, WAV and FLAC) when using DLNA, but the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 also lets you connect to non-DLNA NAS drives and play a wider range of formats.

Other network related functions include smartphone/tablet control and the ability to play media content on your smartphone from networked DLNA devices, using the DMP-BDT220 as the middleman. The BDT220 is also compatible with Wi-Fi Direct, lets you connect devices to the BDT220 without getting a router involved.

If you prefer a more local form of media playback, then the USB port allows you to play DivX, MKV, MP4, MPEG, JPEG, MPO, MP3, FLAC and WAV from storage devices up to 2TB in capacity. From SD (SDHC, SDXC) cards you can play AVCHD, AVCHD 3D, MP4, MPEG2, JPEG and MPO.

The Panasonic BDT220 is 3D-ready, with a range of adjustments that let you find the perfect 3D effect – including a feathered frame that diffuses the image at the edges and makes it more comfortable to watch. The deck can also turn 2D material into pseudo 3D, not only for DVDs but internet content too.

And like the BDT320 you get a range of picture enhancement modes, including Chroma Process, Detail Clarity, Super Resolution and two types of noise reduction. For audio, you’ll also find Night Surround, Re-Master and Dialogue Enhancer, but some of the sound modes found on the BDT320 are missing, including Digital Tube Sound and High Clarity Sound, making the BDT320 a better option for music lovers.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-bdt220_Blu-ray-Player_review_features-and-operation_Page-2#gE1wEXtiyQlRKKDZ.99

Well, that “trusted review” is wrong, or at least misleading.

It says:  “Compatibility is limited to the file formats supported by Windows Media Player (including MP3, JPEG, DivX, AVCHD, MKV, WAV and FLAC)”

Well, Windows Media Player does *NOT* support MKV, DIVX, or FLAC without installing non-supported third-party codec packs.  And depending on what version of Windows Media Player they’re comparing it to, there’s a chance it won’t support AVCHD either.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

So if their statement is correct that it only supports what WMP supports, well, that’s pretty limited.

Heck, just googling this, it sounds like many people have the same issue – the BDT220 appears to have lots of DLNA compatibility issues.    But I have no experience with Panasonic’s player, so I can’t verify first-hand…

This contrary review from Tech Radar speaks volumes:

However, when it comes to network playback you’ll need to get your hands dirty. While the player can see DLNA devices on a LAN, all attempts to play our test files met with failure.

Quite how Panasonic thinks the average user is going to cope with this routine is beyond us … as a user experience, [the DMP-BDT220] [censored word that rhymes with bucks]. Network streaming should be automatic and seamless.

hi, ive managed to get all to play via NAS now but no other files can be seen on my i phone or x box 360 upstairs ,its as if the files are missing now but when i connect as network drive there sitting there , been on to customer support and not much help at all , (created a ticket) im trying to update the firmware back to the one with twonky on it but its not reading the update file when i try to launch it , this is proving to be a massive headache , this should work straight from the box its crazy  .

ive just gone in and rebuilt database and this has sorted the issues out so far , just got to sort out the xbox 360 now and ill be happy   .