Help Needed With Iso's Please

First off I am a complete newbie as regards ripping to Iso. I have so far ripped two blurays ( Skyfall and Cliffhanger) via Imgburn after AnyDvd has removed the copy protection. The files play on the media player no problem but I was expecting something completely different to what I actually got.

1. When I point Thumbgen in the direction of the files it finds the information for the above movies but the information is wrong as regards the resolution ie - Sd 576 for Cliffhanger and 480p for Skyfall and 2.1 sound for both.

2. When I say not what I expected I mean I thought an Iso was a complete Image of the Bluray so I was expecting the menu from the bluray to startup on choosing the file but I get the film straight away.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, Paul

1.  Not sure about thumbgen; I’ve never used it/

2.  None of the WD media players do BD menus.  The behavior you’re seeing is what’s expected – and by the way, it’ll only work if the movie is in a single “m2ts” file on the BD.   The BDs that are authored using multiple M2TS files (and there’s bunches of them) the WD will only play the longest m2ts file, which will not be the whole movie.

1 Like

Sorry I did not realise the Smp did not play menus.After reading your answer I connected my external hard drive to my laptop and I can get the menus in Power Dvd. So I I guess your reasons in answer No 2 explain why Thumbgen sees different outputs as it is probably reading the first chapter in the Iso which more than likely is not 1080p.Basically I need to rip movie only.

Thanks for putting me on the right track

Paul

whoisthebasic wrote:

Sorry I did not realise the Smp did not play menus.

It will play Menus if you have save the file as an .iso.  So just do a full DVD rip to .iso and it should play with menus. Well mine does anyway! 

Thumbgen however doesn’t see .iso files. The same goes for .flv’s I think.  I am doing this from memory so I can’t remember exactly how I used Thumgen to create Movie Sheets for an .iso of Black and White Nights with Roy Orbison. 

I would have done either one of two ways.  I may have renamed the .iso file as a .avi.  If this works, don’t forget to change the extension back to .iso when you have finished.  However the file info won’t be correct (format, audio etc). 

Or I may have renamed one of my other files which was already an .avi file and called it Black and White Nights.avi  Then let Thumbgen does its thing. Again the format/audio info may not be correct. Copy/paste the created Movie Sheets into the folder containing the .iso file.

Give it a go and let us know which method worked.

thomfam wrote:
It will play Menus if you have save the file as an .iso.  So just do a full DVD rip to .iso and it should play with menus. Well mine does anyway!

Only because you are talking about DVDs and he about BDs. Tony was right, no BD menu support.

And also thomfam , Thumbgen 1.3.5.2 does indeed support *.iso

If it detects the wrong media info in the iso … Click the media info button and change it manually.

Thanks for all the advice but due to the fact that you can’t play the BluRay menu I have now decided to rip just the main title as a M2ts file. This way Thumbgen reads the file with all the correct data.

Thanks again Paul