I don’t think this is what you wanted, but you can have the title displayed under the highlighted thumbnail in the gallery view. All I did was to use the @@browse_text with the active="@@act-browselist and disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable.
About the player rebooting. I nearly always right click on the xml that I have just edited and then open it with my web browser in my case Firefox. If I get a page full of code everything should be fine, but if there is an error it will show you where the error is or where it roughly is. I then can alter the xml file and then refresh the web browser to see if it has done the trick. For me this has cut down the amount reboots I have.
I have tried this on my Hub with firmware 3.09.18 and the navigation speed is good. But I use firmware 2.07.17 and the speed is sluggish the problem seems to be with the title it first displays the filename then the title.
I hope this can be some help to you.
Here is the download link if you would like to try it.