Help -- can't play some AVI files

I have some avi files that were recorded with a Sony Mini-DV cam several years ago, and subsequently captured via Pinnacle.  For some reason, these files won’t play (I have tried both the WD HD TV Live, and the newer Live Plus boxes).  The files play on my PC with no problem, so I know they aren’t corrupt.

Below I have listed the details of one of these files, as provided by MediaInfo.  Any idea why these won’t play, or what I need to do to get them to play?

Thanks.

General
Complete name : C:\temp\MyVideo.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format_Commercial_IfAny : DVCPRO
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 2.23 GiB
Duration : 10mn 31s
Overall bit rate : 30.3 Mbps
Recorded date : 2004-05-24 11:45:27

Video
ID : 0
Format : DV
Format_Commercial_IfAny : DVCPRO
Codec ID : dvsd
Codec ID/Hint : Sony
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
Stream size : 2.11 GiB (95%)
Encoding settings : ae mode=full automatic / wb mode=automatic / white balance= / fcm=manual focus

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 116 MiB (5%)
Interleave, duration : 67 ms (2.00 video frames)

Welcome to the forums.

If it were me, I’d run the files through Handbrake using the High Profile preset (but change the output type to MKV).  That ought to do it.

The general answer, though, is that DV is not supported.  The AVI Container IS, but the contents of the container are not supported.

Handbrake did the trick, thanks!  I have a lot of transcoding to do… 

The nice thing is you can queue up your files in Handbrake and have them worked on while you’re sleeping/at work.  Make that computer work while you’re busy elsewhere .

I tried that out last night – awesome!  Thanks for introducing me to Handbrake… now I don’t know how I ever lived without it.

Heh…  The WD User-base gets them a lot of business.   They’re writing some really good stuff.

Maybe we should have a WD/Handbrake club – the Live and Handbrake really go together like Martin and Lewis (oops, perhaps a bad analogy, but Lewis was on my mind this weekend :>).

To me getting the files in a known playable format is almost even a better reason for using Handbrake than saving space.  The only real drawback is time, and most folks can solve that problem by running machines at night or while they’re at work during the day.