Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

Maybe yours wasn’t formatted the same as what others experienced. I’ve restarted my pc so will have another try. Thank you

The video is not a recovery from a formatted drive which is what we experienced so not sure how that would work

1 Like

I sent MBL near the end of July and I got no respond at all after that, sent an e-mail to know what is going on and have not received any replies yet? Anyone else in the same situation ?

Have you heard anything yet? I emailed again yesterday pretty much a month after they said 1-2 weeks. No reply yet… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Actually got a response from Western Digital after several chasers:
This is a follow-up email in regards to your previous contact with WD regarding your My book Live device data recovery program.Based on your concern I would like to inform that the Data recovery process is at the last stage and you will be notified by Secure Data once the Data recovery is complete.

This is after receiving a response from Zachery at Securedata on 14th September telling me
The recovery is almost complete. We are working on getting a return shipping label from WD as well.

I get the feeling I’m getting fobbed off…
I sent my MBLD on 31st July.

I’m going to give it until next Wednesday then chase it up with Western Digital as that will be two months from when I sent my drive off. That’s if I haven’t heard from Zachary first, hopefully he’s not overwhelmed by all the emails…

I wouldn’t be surprised if Zachery was just a bot sending out the same messages to everyone. They all seem a little generic!

1 Like

Hi there All,

My MYBOOK LIVE is still working and i can log into it but it wont display on my LG TV anymore. I have had it set for 9 years with no issues. I go on my SMART SHARE on the LG TV and it says “No File” but all the files are still on the hard drive. Can anyone help with any ideas on how to fix this headache…

@Jasedace76 The following thread suggests that you need to go to the My Book Live dashboard → Settings → Media. Under “Status” click Rebuild:
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-live-lg-tv-not-displaying-files-folders/56782

I contacted WD who said they had given SecureData a return label to send something back to me. I gave it a few days and then emailed SecureData who havent got back to me get. Its been a month since they said itll be an extra 1-2 weeks.

What is weird is I managed to recover files in about 12 hours with free software. Not sure what could possibly take them 6 weeks in total.

I’ve now got an image in my head of one bloke trying to recover loads of drives and reply to loads of emails at the same time…

1 Like

Still nothing. I can’t get this thing to come alive. When I log into the dashboard it says “Network link Down” like 20 times on the right side of the dashboard.

@Jasedace76 The only other suggestion I have is that, since your problem is different from the subject of this thread, you should start a new thread with a title that describes your issue. More people might then see it and provide suggestions.

Zachary must be the email guy, I’d be surprised if it’s a real name and I’m sure there is a list of cut and paste responses. The last response I’ve received was Sept. 13 when they said they had received my drive and expected 1-2 weeks before recovery is finished.

1 Like

That Zachary guy seems to have just disappeared. Sent my disk 2 months ago, also got the 1 to 2 weeks message 1 month ago, and, after sending him 2 messages since, I never got any response. I just emailed the general customer relationship email to see what is going on with all this.

Just received a 2TB MyPassport from UPS - connected it to the laptop and it contains…

None of my data
Lots of photo’s and files from someone else

Zachary has just received another Email…

That’s not a good sign. Nice breach of data protection/GDPR…

I’ve just been on live chat with WD about why I haven’t received mine after two months. All they could say was to speak to secure data recovery despite me already telling them that I have and didn’t receive an answer.

I’ve just logged it as a ticket with WD - I’m not holding my breath, but I think they need to know that (in my case at least) its not going well…

1 Like

I just got this reply from Secure Data Recovery…

I have reached out to the lab for an update and your recovery is almost done.

We will be in touch with your tracking information shortly once the data is shipped.

I’m not holding out much hope that it’ll be any time soon…

It’s amazing what happens when you contact the main customer service email. Suddenly it’s done and the recovered media is on its way back to me. Let’s see what I actually get back…

“Thank you for using Secure Data Recovery Services.”

“We have shipped your recovered data back to you. Your original storage media will be returned to the manufacturer.”