Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

You need a data recovery program like Disk Drill or EaseUS or R-Studio to access the file system

Has anyone had success using the Stellar software to recover their data, or are better results obtained using EaseUS or R-Studio? Thanks.

This thread is getting a bit hard to manage. Iā€™d like to put my MBL back on the intranet with no gateway. However, I would prefer to get into the file system and check if the malicious software was added. And then, to remove it if possible before it tries to wipe my drive. Is there a clear set of instructions on where those files would be found, and how theyā€™d be removed?
Somebody else postulated that re-running the last firmware update might remove it but no verification.

1 Like

@flipper26

See my posts:
DMDE = Didnā€™t purchase DMDE, it creates a log file that you can load later and recover from.
EaseUS = It creates directories by User Name-Date-Time Stamp. No Log file, so I purchased it for $62/month on special with Clone package. Online chat support is pretty good. The biggest draw back is that it creates multiple copies of the same file, so you have to delete the copies.

Maybe we should open another topic to see potential home made solutions.
Im interested too, beeing in Argentina there is no chance that I can send anything to WD. Thats it, even the support stopped answering on my open ticket.
I basically gave up to the idea of anything (even internal hard drives) else from WD never.

On the other hand, I was not wiped or I believe I was not hit at all. I dont know for sure of course, but this is something that has been discussed here already if any potential DYI solution is safe or not.
I tried read the logs (the ones that the web UI makes when you press that support button) and I dont see any of the messages that some users reported here.
I do delete the gateway on the MBL and since I did that I can confirm at least 2 things, 1st the emails stopped working and 2nd, if you check the logs under ā€œcurrent statusā€ you will see 2 txt files having a result of a tracert to wd.com and wd2go.com populated with ip addresses hops, but if you remove the gateway those tracer routes stop working too.
Thats it, thats the best I did, maybe it doesnt mean shā€¦ but Im shooting in the dark, and before users start again calling us cheap or something like that, it is what it is, not everybody can afford something ā€œjust becauseā€.
The main learning here was, you should have a propper backup of your data. If you concentrate all in the MBL, have regular backups to somewhere else. I had the same issue when my first MBL started to fail due to bad sectors in the drive, and I lost as well data. Since then I tried to replicate somewhere else.

Now this is different, we all know that, but since WD just said ā€œunplug and forget itā€ its up to us to think what to do.
I really do hope everybody can manage to have their files back on their own, at least after that you can format the hard drive and use it on any usb cradle.
Asking users to take out the trash without any reward its insulting from WD. 40% is not a reward.

1 Like

I have a ā€œMY BOOK LIVEā€.

My ā€œMY BOOK LIVEā€ has been corrupted.
A virus has entered my ā€œMY BOOK LIVEā€, they donā€™t want to help me recover my lost data.
the virus has deleted the insides of many important folders.
My 3 year job.

Instead others who have had the same problem as me are helping to recover.

There are methods discussed in this thread for checking if you have or not. But, itā€™s pretty technical where you compare your current machineā€™s firmware to the original last version you updated to.

It would be nice if WD would offer some sort of scanner for it so the layman can confirm if theyā€™ve been hacked or not, but WD doesnā€™t seem to really care about their customers very much.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the same happen to me with a 6Tb ML duo drive.

Iā€™ve managed to reset the password and can now access the dashboard. It is showing 3Tb of 6 used, but when I try to access the folders theyā€™re all empty.

If I decide to send my drive back for data recovery, will I get the recovered data sent to me on the same drives, or will they be new drives?

How reliable is the data recovery? Could it be a case of ā€œSorry, we tried but failed to recover anythingā€

Iā€™ve got everything on hereā€¦

Thanks in advance (& apologies if this has been answered a million times alreadyā€¦)

I have removed my Hard Drive and installed it in a Serial to USB adapter but Windows and EaseUS donā€™t recognize the drive. Any suggestions? This is the adapter that I am using USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station - Sabrent

This looks good. It should have worked. You can try other docking solutions though.

Personally I have found that the problem with these docking stations is that the power supply is never adequate.

I was able to confirm that my PC recognizes another hard drive with Windows installed so I assume that means that the adapter is providing enough power. Any suggestions on another adapter to try. I want to clone the disk before I send it to WD. Thanks

Iā€™ll be frank. These are like USB hubs. Very, very error prone connectors with high failure rates. You can try looking on Amazon for other 4+ star rated ones but donā€™t expect much from them.

Hi, Has anybody used Stellar Data Recovery to recover data, & how well did it work ? this article looks promising https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/recover-data-from-hacked-wd-mybook-live/

My device managed to avoid the troubles others have been having.

Iā€™m not able to buy a different NAS device so in order to re-connect to my router is there a definitive guide on what to do to make it safe.

Look on the wall wart/power supply. See what the output is for the amps. Should be at least 2 Amps.

If your PC is NOT a laptop best way to hook it up is in a SATA port inside the PC. I have drive trays on mine. Just slide a HDD into it power up and viola! I have adapters for 3.5 so I can use them in it too. Makes it easy to switch from one OS to another too :slight_smile:

Sure comes in handy!

@A_c1 I just ordered a SATA to USB adaptor. I intend to try this guide out when I get it. Iā€™m sure the software will make you pay the $80 before actual recovery but it would be worth every penny to get my kidā€™s baby photos back.

1 Like

Just got this in live chatā€¦

ā€œThe engineering department has received your logs and is processing them. After we have confirmed we can recover the data you will receive a document to sign and you will send us the device for Data recovery and trade inā€

Apparently I could be waiting days or maybe hours for this documentā€¦

1 Like

I got this from WD 7 days ago:

Once the above steps are complete, either Western Digital Customer Service or the Data Recovery Vendor will contact you to provide a shipping label and additional instructions.

I completed the steps right after I got the email. Not a word since, beginning to wonder if they are really trying to help. I donā€™t think I want any more of their products.

2 Likes

yep @kenship everything back in 3 days for S$250 + a back up HDD. Now looking for NAS options, Synology is my shortlist

It took about a week from the time they approved my return to send my shipping label.