Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

Thank you, this was what I was hoping for! :slight_smile:

But even though I was lucky this time, I still donā€™t trust WD anymore. My drive can still get updates via the computer, and the WD-software I have installed is fully capable of formatting everything. How can I trust WD from this point on? How will I know that the next attack isnā€™t disguised as an update to my drive?

Iā€™ll probably be looking for something else in the near future.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right. I did the same thing. Lucky enough I had a spare 500gb drive from a computer a upgraded to a SSD. I do also have a spare 500gb on a 2nd HD I again partitioned into 2 just for backups. Hope itā€™s working out for you. I lost various videos which isnā€™t really a problem as they was just dvd rips. The important bit was family photos which I have recovered. Only issue is that they are random file names and not in a folder structure. But there is data inside that is dated and if taken on a mobile is also geo data so location.

1 Like

another sales guy/bot who joined this forum to push one product

@TruckerJoe Thanks. Yeah I am just making room on the 1TB spare old laptop drive by trying to remove the old Windows OSā€¦ thatā€™s another bit of fun and steep learning curve !!! DiskClean up seems to get so far then does nothing and no little pop-up windows appear!! Thank god for Google and YouTube !!! O alot of my pictures seem to be in duplicate and even triplicate but I am just happy I can at least see them at the moment!! So, to actually recover them I select the ā€œfile typeā€ and then hit ā€œRecoverā€ and I assume it will prompt me to buy a licence?? Happy to do that if I can get all wedding and family pictures back.

Sorry fella, Iā€™m not another sales guy. I like many others have lost what looks like a shed load of data .e.g 100ā€™s of albums, 100ā€™s of movies, 10years of family photos. Personal stuff that I wont know whatā€™s gone until I need to use it. Iā€™ve tried it it seems to work, Iā€™ll continue with this for now until I know different.

This is exactly the point.

Itā€™s commendable that WD will try to recover data from affected drives. But telling people to trash their hardware and buy a newer version of the same thing is crazy.

The code has already been corrected right here on the forum, it should be easy for WD to release an update that will fix these issues.

Leaving these units vulnerable and asking us to buy new hardware that will no doubt meet the same fate is not acceptable.

Do I replace my 4 mybook live duoā€™s with 4 mycloud drives and hope they donā€™t drop support for them next week? I donā€™t think so.

A quick Google search of ā€œmycloud hackā€ shows that there have been significant security problems with those units also so why would anyone buy another security problem when they wonā€™t even fix the existing one.

If they wonā€™t fix this problem then no more WD for me

2 Likes

I really hope that they will find a solution. because i also lost every thing on my harddisk. For me it will also be my very last WD product.

Yeah I checked the boxes at the side of the data I wanted such as picture files, audio and video. Then clicked recover selected I think it was. Then a prompt comes up regarding too big for free version. So clicked buy license then via PayPal.

Just parked me truck up for the day and in my free time all I seem to be doing is reading through this thread :smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t buy any cloud drives and front face any of your data to the internet. Buy a raspberry pie, install PiVPN and install OpenVPN on your laptop and VPN to your network to access the data. Much safer.

@TruckerJoe Yep done exactly that and then panicked when it started as it immediatley said file exists, skipped. Realised it was the duplicated and triplicates it was skipping !!! 12hrs of copying started, fingers crossedā€¦ Guess I might be taking laptop and docking station away with me to sort files while on holiday in motorhome in a couple of weeks time !!! Enjoy your rest time and readingā€¦sorry there were so many questions but I appreciated your advice and we are getting there !!

Yeah i did the same. Set it to ignore duplicates. No problem at all. We are all going through similiar issues and everyone has different knowledge levels. Im just a ā€œsimpleā€ truck driver in the uk delivering peoples healthcare. Busy times all round

Are you sure that your EX2 was wiped from this attack? The EX2 is supposed to be immune to these two vulnerabilities.

@pk-one-hot Iā€™ve sent you a private message.
Looks like we have reached out to you for system logs on 06/25/2021 in case Reference # 210626-000279. Please contact support, attach the system logs so that we can check your issue.

Iā€™m scared shitless that I have made a grave error and maybe lost the lot. I thought that what I was doing was going to get my data back, I was totally unaware of the information noted in the bbb.org web page.

I have nothing to do with data recovery companies etc but have worked with servers, data centers etc for over 25 years.

a lot of the complaints on that BBB page look what could be described as fairly typical with this kind of software as there is no guarantee the quality of what is recovered until it is completed.

Some of those complaints seem a bit random like the exchange and SQL ones as any competent exchange admin would go straight for ontrack powercontrols. As for the SQL ones if the transaction logs are gone then the data would be pretty screwed and iPhones are a notorious PITA to recover.

in the past for personal recovery I have used r-studio and have had pretty good results.

As a note for people looking at new systems like QNAP, I have a couple at home and out of the box they will try and upnp out although latest firmwares give more warnings etc. Also as some others have suggested, on a new NAS I would block remote app access and setup VPN so you can still get the functionality but without a firewall like Swiss cheese

2 Likes

I turned on my routerā€™s parental controls and denied web access to the MBL (nice tip, thanks). Connected it back to the router and the wd widget eventually showed 29%, and I dove in and saw all the swstor/smartware folders from various computers, so it looks like I was not affected.

Wellā€¦I wasnā€™t wiped. Not sure if the data was offloaded or stolen before that. My router wasnā€™t logging. Shut it back down to await a fix from wd (no offense to your efforts)

For cross-referencing:
Remote access never enabled. Connection: auto
FTP not enabled
Mobile access: none
Router replaced two years ago (possibly clearing out ports)
Upnp was ON in the router.
Never signed up for wd2go
FW is 62.43-10-048

2 Likes

Totally agree on both parts :). Deffo agree with Synology being more polished

1 Like

Remote access was disabled on my MBL and it was still successfully compromised and wiped.

1 Like

Hiya, I will be following your advice on the Synology nas drives. Iā€™m done with WD trade in/upgrade discount or not. I have a question though which I have not been able to find an answer on the Synology web site, but you sound like someone who will know. For my current usage it seems the ds120 will be more than adequate. I do like to cover all bases though and have room for expansion/ change of use. Do you know if the ds220 can be populated and used with just one drive, with a view to adding another later? Would appreciate any advice.

On my Windows 10 computer I saw following in the Windows Updates:

What does that mean? Why is my Windows PC showing a firmware update for the MBL ?!

1 Like