Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

Yes, but we have to wait and see.
What keeps on the top of my head still is, why we just can keep using the unit if is not Remote Access activated?
Besides the factory reset script, I mean if root cause is be exposed and somehow we can assure that we’re not exposed somehow (port filtering, something else)
Why is a solution to change the drive? I just dont get it, sorry.

MBL in my case serves as a network share for multimedia and its backed up somewhere else regulary.
Thats why I stay sceptical to WD statements…

1 Like

Agreed. The opportunity and offset in cost to simply shift units of new NAS models as replacement (even with reduced profit) is the preference when a patch to switch all outbound & inbound traffic would be welcomed by users not hit by the problem.

I’ve also asked WD the question on Twitter regarding a code fix / patch to make the MBL’s LAN only, but thus far they haven’t replied to that suggestion.

My guess is what I said above. New unit at reduced cost. The cost will be the straw that breaks my back if it’s too high for being forced to bin 2 perfectly functional bits of kit. Well, until this fiasco anyway…

1 Like

found it
How to Access a My Book Live When Connected Directly to a Computer (wd.com)

Am I right in thinking the new my cloud home drives do not allow access from windows explorer? I do like to be able to browse as a network drive.

Yea that’s what I’m thinking, but presumably that’s what they will be offering with the trade in/upgrade.

Also, I still have my registration email from january of 2011, but wd did not email me about this event.

Good advice. I’m looking at LAN only & models which arent reliant on automatic internet connection to function at a basic level.

Cloud access functionality on any NAS for me is only ever going to be switched on when I’m away from home. Which is rare.

If they offer a bare EX2 at a rock bottom price THAT I might consider, but not the MCH.

Here are the tweets:

1/3 Update thread for My Book Live and My Book Duo users.

Western Digital is establishing two programs to help customers whose devices have been affected by the attacks this week.

Details below.

2/3 For customers who have experienced loss of data because of these attacks, we will be offering a free data recovery program.

For customers who want to upgrade their device to a supported My Cloud device, we will be offering a trade-in discount.

3/3 If you are a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo user please send us a direct message or go to WD Support:
https://t.co/PKN5PLkVN7

For more technical information about these attacks, see our product security portal: https://bit.ly/WDMBLUpdt

They’re a bit weird…

If you put stuff in the private share you get a mapped drive on your Windows login via the desktop app and you can just drag and drop etc. And use via the mobile apps

The public share is accessible over the network generally via a unc path

Upshot is I have to store music in one place for Sonos to browse over the LAN , and all other stuff in the private share to access through the mapped drive and app

Maybe there’s a better way but if there is then I haven’t found it yet…

Thanks for that, will check them out

I heared a lot of good things about Synology, but also a few bad things like security vulerabilities.
After this vulnerability, I would not trust a device once the firmware is EOL, even if the vendor has a good reputation

Actually, they charged me nothing and they, not me, ran the software. I’ve read the BBB reviews you posted. I did not buy any software and certainly didn’t run the software itself. No billing or warranty problems. Hey, it worked and I shared my experience. Stellar in my experience dedicated hours to my project.

1 Like

I just registered mine today… But I know I did it before as I still have an email from them!

Thanks for the heads up. I have an EX2 already with Cloud access off and it seems fine to me.

Can you elaborate on the issues with the EX2 Ultra please?

I too would be happy with a firmware update that simply makes the device LAN only, no WAN or Internet connectivity whatsoever.

However, I suspect they’ve decided that there is less liability in providing replacement drives at a discount than releasing a firmware update that still might not be fully secure. I’m amazed that they’re offering data recovery to affected users, so props to them for that. Maybe they’ll surprise us with new firmware as well.

I’m interested to hear what the trade-in offer will be, but the current My Cloud Home devices don’t appear to be as functional as I would like. Maybe the My Cloud Expert devices will be an option. I’m leaning more towards a Synology DS220+, although that would be a significant unplanned investment.

1 Like

Well, my data hasn’t been deleted, I was lucky and gotten it offline. But wd’s site doesnt show I registered it, and I am not lucky enough to have my receipt of purchase… so even if I wanted to trade it in, I’m sure they wouldnt do it… so I’ll be looking for a replacement. Guess I should feel lucky my data is still intact.

I developed a small auto-hotfix script together with a friend! (It makes pretty much fun to analyze the firmware and to play with it, seriously)

It can be downloaded here.
https://misc.daniel-marschall.de/patches/mybook_live/mbl_hotfix.sh

EDIT 3rd July: I have successfully tested it on my MyBook Live Duo. It worked perfectly!

We also did a THEORETICAL attempt to fix the firmware package:
https://misc.daniel-marschall.de/patches/mybook_live/how_to_patch_firmware.txt
But this is not tested at all. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Honestly, I am too anxious to brick my MBL, because I would like to keep it (yes, I’m crazy).

By the way, what I really LIKE about the MBL is that you can change files on your system and they stay. For example things like /root/.ssh keys or hotfixes like the ones we did.
On the MyCloud EX2, all system files get reverted when you boot it… good for defending botnets/malware, but bad for custom stuff! (Or is there a trick to make permanent file changes to the EX2 ?)

3 Likes

I had been meaning to replace my MBL with a DS220+ and this incident has finally prompted me to get one (with a Seagate HDD). I should have done this years ago. I love it already. It really shows just how pitiful WD’s "NAS"es are.

1 Like

Please enlighten me

1 Like

I used one similar to the inateck USB. I have not used any of those but that is very similar to what I used