Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

Aah got it. I thought for bandwidth purposes you would want it on Internal SATA. Cool if it working for you. I would have to get a Desktop running again to use Internal SATA.

DMDE was pretty nice and fast. Started it this morning.

Preview for images, virtual filesystem. All other things are hex-values.
Pricetag: 16€/20$ for the Express-Edition. Otherwise you’re limited to 4000 recoveries I think. But it seems to work.
Exported an cr2-Canon-Camera-Raw and opened flawlessly, Exported mpeg-Video: Works.

Be aware that this won’t be the case for everything but not all is lost :wink:

jusr checked their licenses. Looks like we’ve got another alternative here, which is cheaper than easeus. The twenty is definitive worth it, if it works.

Stupid WD, doesn’t even help by telling us what programs to use. I’ve wasted so much time with DiskInternals and R-Linux

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this program, PhotoRec. Another user used EaseUS.

Can you only try this once to recover? Or can you use multiple software? For example; if EaseUS doesn’t get that much can i try PhotoRec?

Because i don’t kno which one is the best to try

Anyone any ideas on this?

Today I also bought a new one; from Synology one with 2 slots which copy eachother or something. I don’t know but hopefully this will never happen again. I lost many pictures of my children

But i also blame myself; i should have bought a new one years ago as the MBL is rather old.

Thanks
Sander

Turned out my drive was not hit, but don’t dare turn it on obviously.
Got all the latest unbacked up files of it using debugfs and rdump command.

No, it’s a read-only thing. So you can try as often as you like, als long as you don’t change anything on the original drive. If you’ve tried EaseUS you can skip PhotoRec in my experience. Got the worst results with PhotoRec. A lot of rubbish from time machine and not all images I got with all other tools I tried.

Also don’t want to worry you but stuff like that can also happen to expensive ones like qnap or synology. Multi-bay just saves you from crashed drives not from getting your drive wiped or encrypted. Guess it’ll be much more difficult to recover a wiped RAID than it is with a Single-Slot one like the WD. In your case data is just mirrored and you can choose which drive you want to recover :wink:

Thank you Hazamel.

I bought a SATA III to USB 3.0 cable which I will connect with the drive once I have opened it.
Did i buy the correct cable? I hope so
 :slight_smile:

As long as it has an additional powersource it’ll be fine. Those “Transfer to SSD-SATA-USB” don’t devlier enough power to spin a HDD-Drive

Dear Gerald_42

Thank you so much for your kind and detail information!
My pictures are all jpg type and not so big. And also mp4 files are up to 3 minutes.
I will try to recover my memories!
I appreciate your help!

Sorry Sander_Van_velzen, i know enough to get into trouble fast. If your files are not there then i would suggest to power the unit down and wait a until either you can see a step by step recovery guide here or you may have to look at a commercial data recovery option. Don’t rush if you have no immediate need.
There seems to be a lot of more knowledeable people than me that are used to data recovery here, and they have a good reason to find a solution. Wether it all gets documented in sufficient detail for it to work for anyone time will tell.
Both my drives were actually ok, looks like i broke one trying to stop it being hit. I managed to recover all my non backed up files from the main unit. It was not for the faint of heart as i only have a latop and had to use a USB to SATA bridge. These things seem to be very tempremental - i had around a dozen windows 10 bluescreens doing the recovery and i lost one virtualbox VM as well due to things not shutting down correctly.
I wouldn’t recomend doing what i did, i did it becasue there were onlya few files that i i needed to recover and, to me, it was worth the risk.

Ok. I will try to open de MBL with more care. Hopefully i can use the power from the MBL and then connect the USB cable to the drive.

Otherwise what should i then buy to have sufficient power?

Like this one:

Someone also posted a pure USB-Plug without a case yesterday. MBL won’t work because the connector is solder to the board as one piece.

Thank you!

Appreciate your help.

1 Like

Just a wild guess, but I think not. It’s an easy, cheap, out-of-box drive with an ethernet-port :wink:
Many customers will already have problems opening the case or have the right equimpent to hook it up on their computer. Not talking about the magic of Unix-Filesystems and the Do’s and dont’s of accessing a device safely.
I learned a lot the last days and I’m a IT-professional with a lot of experience in screwing around with hardware.
Even though it might seem easy when posting about it, it’s a lot of experience about what to do and far more about not to do included.
But the most part of the customers might be the ones going to the electronics store and bought one of these because they are easy to handle.

1 Like

I also had a Roku showing up despite not having one that has since disappeared, Coincidence maybe but weird nonetheless.

I think you’re correct here. Most owners bought this because it was an easy storage solution. It takes minimal technical knowledge to setup and use. At least this is my case. I have the duo so it’s easy to open up and remove the drives.

I’ll be watching this thread and seeing what works and doesn’t, then in all likelyhood I’ll take it to a professional to recover the data.

2 Likes

well recovered using disc drill using a usb external enclosure and lucky i got it back will get a new Bluetooth backup option no online storage option for me anymore, hope you all recover your files.

I bought a Synology as well - a little while back. I got a 6TB Hitachi drive for it. I really like Hitachi, but now they are owned by WD and I don’t even think the brand Hitachi is on any new disks. For a time WD was using HGST. I need to get it installed.

Anyway, my 2TB MBL was wiped a couple days ago as well. I found out when my home grown backup copied the entire contents from my ThinkPad’s HDDs to the MBL’s Public share and failed completely on the private share. When I went in to look, the private share was just gone. The public share was fully populated because this is a true backup drive for me, you could send the MBL into orbit and I have 5 other backups (1 more NAS and 4 USBs), but it does take a while to copy this large amount of files.

I went into the WD drive interface and the PW didn’t work, just like everyone else I did some lookups and found this thread and other notifications about the global attack.

It took 3 or 4 resets to get the admin password back. I reset it to my own PW and re-created a now blank private share, and will just disconnect the drive.

If WD cannot or will not make these NAS drives safe again, I’ll just put it in a a Sabrent USB enclosure and park it next to my travel ThinkPad.for use as an extra HDD. As for me I think they should provide everyone with a free SAFE replacement NAS at least as large as what we have at present.

Frontier FIOS ARRIS router
UPnP was ON, now it is OFF
The MBL:
Remote access was ON now OFF
Auto update was OFF

Let’s see what WD does or fails to do. The fact that they knew about this in 2018 is going to hurt them, I just don’t know by how much.

Lastly, folks, please do a REAL backup - that means ALL your needed files are on TWO or more DIFFERENT Drives.

3 Likes

Yeah I found that out myself. Since 0130 this morning UK time mine was at 50% using partition recovery. When I get home soon I see it’s progress. Did have a email back from WD saying about there has been issues with there drives. Nice of them to tell me after I had emailed them with the issue.

Also is nice to know that I could try other software mentioned in this thread if this doesn’t work.

I did however notice during its long scan this.

1800 odd GB in cachevolume. Is that where the files could be held ?

this most likely a hack that was done to WD main servers as it is to wide spread to have been to the individual ip total data breach at WD i think. check all files recovered for a virus just in case.

2 Likes