For those who haven’t been hit yet and shut down our devices in time but still need to use their My Book Live devices for backups, there should be a tutorial offered by WD to show how to keep the device only on the local network with proper firewall, etc. settings for common Internet modem/routers.
For WD to expect their customers to unplug their devices and have it sit like a brick for an extended period of time is unacceptable.
Or, is that what these devices are now? Worthless bricks?
ATTENTION! I HAVE MANAGED TO RECOVER MY FILES FROM MY WD MBL, FOR FREE!
(Sorry for caps, I just want to make sure people see this because I think it’ll work for most people.)
Disclaimers: Individual files have been recovered, but the original folder structure has not been restored. I have confirmed with .avi video files. Some file formats might not actually have been restored, I’m not entirely sure how files were redetected, whether the program actually restored each file block or recognized filetypes based on data patterns. The files were restored, however the names for the files and most other metadata were not.
A Windows PC (might work on Linux)
A spare disk (to recover your data, needs to hold all your prior data. If you are unsure how much storage is necessary, the program used will tell you how many GB of data was recovered.) (Make sure the disk is already formatted and mounted)
The ability to connect a 3.5" HDD into the PC (I used an external dock; internally plugging in via SATA should work as well)
Select the WD MBL PARTITION (NOT the physical drive). The type should be ext3 or ext4.- The program will scan the partition. This step may recover a few files, but for me there was nothing found.
After the scan, on the top there will be a message with a button “recover more files”. Click that!
Select “full disk” scan, and select all the filetypes (or all the filetypes which you want to recover).
The program will rescan, showing you how many blocks/inodes it has found (part of the ext filesystem). When it’s done, you should see folders by file extension, containing the files.- Last, select any folders/files you want to save, and right click → save. Navigate to your spare disk, and then start saving.
I had a bit more than a terabyte of data to recover, and as of now it’s predicted to take more than 2 days to recover the data to another network mounted storage drive I have. Once the program completes I’ll share what the result is if I remember.
They’re seeing some success with the data recovery, but it’s still processing (it’s been running for about 5 hours and only at 68%). They’re going to keep plugging away, and I should know by Monday if it was successful.
They did indicate that they’re optimistic because knock wood they’re not seeing errors popup, it’s finding files, and it’s still running after all this time. They said they get concerned when error messages popup regularly and/or it shuts down completely after an hour or so. So fingers crossed we’ll have success on Monday!
Just checked my settings both UPnP & Extended UPnP are on I also noted recommendation you keep ‘Extended UPnP Security’ turned on to make sure your home network is secure. Seems to have been standard setting on upgraded router.
I think remote access was enabled
Auto update was enabled
All data appears lost
Just some data from my end as I didn’t lose any data.
UPnP is enabled on my router
Remote access was enabled, but set to “manual” mode. I manually set up port forwarding on my router.
Auto Update was disabled
did not lose data
FTP Service was enabled
Didn’t change the device name
DID change the root password.
I’ve unplugged my My Book Live so I can’t check the firmware, but it was back from 2015 or 2016.
My router doesn’t respond to pings or anything on non-open ports.
Coincidentally I just recently backed up all the data on the drive to an external USB drive. It literally took nearly a week of continuous copying to do that. While the NAS is convenient, it was so slow as to nearly be unusable.
Prior to unplugging it, I checked my router and there were no outbound or inbound connections to the drive, which is how I like it. That’s one of the reasons I didn’t use “automatic” remote access.
On a side note, with “Automatic” remote access enabled, the drive may decide to use WD’s cloud servers are an access router. Even when set up manually, the drive maintains a DDNS which allows accessing the drive remotely by name. I feel I was just lucky that I didn’t get scanned by whomever did this.
Thankfully I have not been affected as of yet. Drive is disconnected and following for updates. Pathetic that WD wouldn’t even do security updates on this device seeing as it’s always on and fully connected.