Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

I’m feeling the same way. Would sooner take them up on a full data recovery. Unsure about a replacement yet. But I did have to contact them for more info. The only information I have had about the problem is via this thread. No communication from WD at all.

If your MBL says “only 3G used” in the UI, what’s the chances of them being able to recover all your data.

I still dont get the vulnerability report regarding the Remote Access.
Is that the culcript?
Call me stuborn but now they offering some trade deal is not going to work for me.

I need to know how to block just internet traffic on this thing, or at least test if I can be reached even if I was not hit initially and all ports are filtered according to np command on Google Cloud machine.

Anyone knows about how to test this?
Thanks!

PS: it just doesnt make sense to say “disconnect from internet” as a solution, thats too wide…

I think if you registered your product you’ll get emails otherwise nothing.

Does anyone know if our data was compromised? Was it uploaded from the drives or just erased? The information from WD does not say one way or the other.
Thanks.

In case you are concerned about other products and services from Western Digital, our investigation of this incident has not found any evidence that our cloud services, firmware update servers, or customer credentials were compromised. The vulnerabilities being exploited are limited to the My Book Live devices, which were introduced to the market in 2010 and received a final firmware update in 2015. These vulnerabilities do not affect our current My Cloud product family.

For more information, please see:

1 Like

I got a notice in email this morning that as of July 1 they will be doing recovery.

1 Like

It was that long ago I honestly couldn’t say

Backup vs archive etc.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the proper usage of the term backup.

A Backup of files is a COPY to another physical medium. If you then delete the original files, you no longer have a “backup”. Your original backup is now your only copy and it is now more properly defined as an Archive. You should NEVER have needed / critical files to be only on One device.NEVER EVER.

My MBL was wiped, but it was only one of 6 backup copies of my original files which are still on the ThinkPad’s internal drives. I was able to reset in, copied some of the wiped files back to it, and then disconnected it and powered it off.

I never registered the MBL but since registering and posting here, WD had emailed me twice about this disaster so they are definitely monitoring this thread.

2 Likes

I’ve not been hit, and thankfully I have full backups on drives & a mirrored 6GB EX2.

Depending on what they offer in the MBL trade in they announced today, I might be tempted if the price is reasonable.

They should just make the drives LAN only via a patch and problem solved. Ridiculous really.

If they want silly money on the trade in I might buy a new enclosure & stick the 3TB drives in a new setup. Possibly a QNAP.

TBC. Your move WD.

4 Likes

A novice question, can one just format this drive as a normal drive if you remove it from the WD case and connect to PC as a normal HD?

1 Like

I feel the same way. Part of me says I was entirely happy with my Duo for 8 years until now. The other part says I bought this in 2012. I had a drive fail in 2013 where they replaced the entire unit within a week, which I thought was amazing. But then 2 years later they stop support and it becomes a legacy item? I didn’t see that listed in the features. To be honest I didn’t know they stopped support until this issue, maybe I missed the email.

I’m super happy that they are providing recovery services and I’ll definitely wait for that instead of trying on my own. I’m not sure if I want another WD product right now though. How long until their current product becomes “legacy” and isn’t supported? Next year? Tomorrow? Maybe I take the trade in if it’s a good deal and just sell it

5 Likes

Thats exactly what Im asking to WD on my open ticket.
I only need to put this “legacy” drive into LAN mode only and continue with my life, I dont need a new drive…

2 Likes

You certainly can!

Right this is what i have indexed on the left and contents regarding pictures on the right or arranged in date order. The preview is at the bottom. Hope that helps you out a little

3 Likes

yes you can no problem. There is a video floating about on how to remove the drive from its case. Didn’t take much effort tbh

1 Like

I have got similar results with just under 600,000 files.
I have also found a free bulk file naming utility that looks interesting and possibly useful once the data has been recovered at https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

2 Likes

Thats very useful thanks.
It maybe a long shot but does anyone have or seen full product code key for R Suite or just bite the bullet and but the key from them.

@TruckerJoe wow that looks great. The pic and the results!!!
I had the “otherfiles” but could not see anything remotely like what you are getting. I have started the scan again, another 17hr wait, as I did not save the first scan file anyway. But this time I am scanning from the highest level I.e. WDC Wd20Euro etc etc and not just one of the sub folders/directories(?). Will let you know tomorrow what happens!

Mine took about 4hr connected via SATA to the MB. Now im trying to work out for large all the files are i can select and where to back them upto.