My WDTV Live SMP had been working pretty well for a few months (I purchased it in December) and slowly but surely it started locking up when I paused it. This lock up would freeze the entire unit and make the remote unresponsive. Then it started locking up when I tried to play files (usually MKVS that palyed fine previously). The spinning arrow would remain on the screen along with the info bar and the remote would lock up. Playback would continue behind these items. Movies will play fine once they are started. The player will not crash if you do not pause, menu back, etc. A whole movie will play absolutely fine and then the player will crash if you pause it, etc.
I’ve read through countless threads and have tried a few of the suggestions with no luck.
- My network consists of a few gigabit switches along with an Asus AC66U router and a WD My Cloud 4tb nas.
- I’m streaming to the WDTV Live SMPs (both of them) via an SMB share from the NAS. This seemed to also happen before I introduced the NAS when I was running the shares off my Windows 7 PC.
- The router is newly in the picture, before that I had a Cisco EA6500.
- UPNP is enabled on the router.
- I’ve swapped all network cables and even tried connecting the WDTV to the switch directly.
- Both players are running the latest firmware (I absoulely don’t want to loose the DTS-HD passthrough)
I did realize that the running of Universal Media Server could possibly have something to do with it, so I’ve stopped that all together and will test today to see if that was causing some issues. (I have other devices that need transcoding or else I wouldn’t bother with it at all).
Does anyone have any suggestions that I might be missing? I don’t think turning off UPNP on the router level is an option as it’s only going to cause headaches with the Xboxs and other devices on the network that seem to rely on UPNP for everything.
Thank you guys!