Heard that CAVIAR BLACKS are WEAK when it comes to RAID setups! Comments?

Hello All, I’m new to the site today!

I’m desperately trying to find a solution to the HORRIBLE Seagate RMA’S that I’ve been experiencing over the last year or two…  As a result, I bought six CAVIAR BLACKS for future RAID setups…

Recently, I spoke with a Couple of ‘System Builders’ and they told me that they have had a ‘Number of Issues’ with RAID LEVEL 0,1, 5, 10 using CAVIAR BLACKS!!.  Has anyone experienced any ‘ISSUES’ with the BLACKS vs. the SEAGATE Drives.?  I’m really only interested in RAID 0 and 1 and REALLY would like an alternative to SEAGATE.

Thanks for your help…

/J…

There was a report over on Tom’s about some Russian company that recovers data and iirc Seagate had a higher than average failure rate. YMMV et cetera.

You need to know that Caviar Blacks are not RAID drives.  So, if one of them goes into error recovery mode, for longer than 7 seconds, it will drop out of the RAID array.  That’s what you are going to experience, sooner or later.  However, if you are using a software RAID, then you may have better luck. 

1 Like

Yeah, I was told that it had to do with the ‘error correction’ feature of the Hard Drive, so you’re response seems to validate that…  Having said that, what drives are people using for RAID 0, 1, 5 ??  Seagates??

Cheers,

I get that the Enterprise-level drives are what’s needed for a true RAID array for business-critical implementations, but it does seem odd that WD advertises all 3 Caviars as being not just suitable, but recommended, for Consumer RAID applications, if you’re only going to have “better luck”.

"Ideal For

Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Blue Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications"

"Ideal For

Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications"

"Ideal For

Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications"

1 Like

I’m reading mixed reviews on the WD Drives for use with RAID.  Controller vs. Software   model # differences   etc.

I would like to put together a software-based (Vista) RAID 0 with a pair of Caviar Blacks 1TB model # WD10000LSRTL .

Does anyone expect any issues with that setup?  If you do see issues, why would WD claim these drives work great for RAIDs (as noted above)?

bump