HDMI not working - Only shows WDTV boot screen

Hi,

I just purchased the WDTV.  Composite works fine on my Phillips 46" but HDMI doesn’t.  When I turn the device on, with  only HDMI connected, it shows the WDTV boot screen (logo with stars and moon) for about 15 sec then I get a blank sceen and shows HDMI1 in the corner as if I just changed the input source on my TV.  

It’s a known good cable as it works with my DIgital Cable Box and since it transmits the boot screen I’m guessing it’s not the cable.  

While connected to composite, I’ve tried changing the input in the WDTV to HDMI (settings all Auto), it appears to change resolution for a moment then turns back to composite. 

I’ve seen on other discussion boards that this may actually be an incompatibility with my TV, but you would think this box would work with any recent TV.  Some have said the box can’t find a compatible screen resolution but there’s no reason it shouldn’t IMO.  

Any help on this.  Id really like to keep this cuz it plays all the file types I want but I’ll likely send this back if I can’t get it working within the return policy.  :(

Thanks in advance.

If you can try another HDMI cable.

Try manual resolution in the HDMI set up menu instead of Auto. Try one after the other plus manual setup of the other items asked after the HDMI resolution.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.  

When I manually change the resolutions and connectivity type to HDMI (while in Composite mode), the screen resolution changes for about ten seconds then changes back before I can disconnect the composite and connect the HDMI.  

I’ll try a new HDMI cable, but it works with my digital cable box.  

Wow, I tried to email support and I get an error. 

"Service & Support

Error

An internal server error occurred during your visit. Please click here to try and login again.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you like to report the error please visit below WD sites."  

Really WD?   Really?

Killing4Pizza wrote:> When I manually change the resolutions and connectivity type to HDMI (while in Composite mode), the screen resolution changes for about ten seconds then changes back before I can disconnect the composite and connect the HDMI.  

Try connecting both the HDMI and composite cables to the TV. Leave them both connected. Then try going into the setup and manually change to HDMI and set the resolution/frequency and color space to something that you know your TV supports. The WD box may say something like: “Your TV does not support this resolution. Do you want to force it anyway?”. Select ‘Yes’ and hopefully that will get your HDMI working.

I have a Panasonic TV that has handshaking issues with my Live Plus. I have to leave both the composite and HDMI connected to my TV all the time because the WD box frequently powers up set at an HDMI resolution that my TV does not support, and it frequently changes the color space value to the wrong setting. I have to switch my TV to composite in order to be able to see the WD setup menu, so that I can change it back to HDMI again.

Sam from WD support explains…

“You should have the composite connected first. Once in the settings menu, you can plug in the HDMI cable and you should be able to change the HDMI settings”

Worked great but had to get very specific as this solution wasn’t offered during first contact.  

Still great communication.  This should be the 1st troubleshooting step, vs isolating it.  Just make sure I’m doing it right.  Nothing in the instructions said to set it up in this specific method. 

This solution did provide a workaround for me.  Here is what I had to do to get this to work:

I connected both the composite and HDMI to inputs on the Pioneer VSX-921-K a/v receiver.  While on the composite connection, I went into the settings menu and changed the HDMI settings and quickly switched the a/v receiver input to the HDMI connection.  What ended up working is the following:

Display resolution: 1080i 60Hz

Color Space: RBG High

Deep Color: 8 Bit

Occasionally, I have to go through the setup again when the display colors get messed up and the whole screen turns pinkish.