HDMI cables hookup?

First time message… be nice !!!   Thanks  :))

Question for you… being a newbie !!!

I just purchased the WD TV “Live” HD Media Player.  I’m not sure how to connect the cables from my Rogers PVR and the WDTV.  At  present  I have the HDMI cable going from the back of the PVR into the TV.  I have an older TV which has only one HDMI input going into the TV. 

I have another HDMI cable if that helps.

Do I  change the HDMI cable so it goes from the PVR to the WDTV… then what do I do?     OR do I have to purchase a MULTI  HDMI box  so the  cable from the PVR goes into this box as well as  from the WDTV  and finally another HDMI cable goes from this box to the TV.

Sorry about the rambling

Canada Dave

canadadave. I had the same situation, a TV with one HDMI input with multiple HDMI devices. Monoprice.com has some really sweet deals on HDMI switches (& cables). Works well with my WD Live… Check them out… cje

canadadave wrote:

First time message… be nice !!!   Thanks  :))

Question for you… being a newbie !!!

I just purchased the WD TV “Live” HD Media Player.  I’m not sure how to connect the cables from my Rogers PVR and the WDTV.  At  present  I have the HDMI cable going from the back of the PVR into the TV.  I have an older TV which has only one HDMI input going into the TV. 

I have another HDMI cable if that helps.

Do I  change the HDMI cable so it goes from the PVR to the WDTV… then what do I do?     OR do I have to purchase a MULTI  HDMI box  so the  cable from the PVR goes into this box as well as  from the WDTV  and finally another HDMI cable goes from this box to the TV.

Sorry about the rambling

Canada Dave

Welcome to the forums, Dave.

Another thing you might consider is an AV Receiver, particularly if sound is important to you.  Your TV will have bad sound (just the nature of TVs) and certainly not 5.1 surround, but even a cheap AV Receiver (like an inexpensive Yamaha) will have tremendous sound and multi-HDMI inputs (with one output going to your TV).

It requires speakers and cabling, of course, but if you have a high def television that’s only half the equation – you need high defintiion sound as well.

Yet another option, if it’s available to you is to hook up the WDTV via COMPONENT, if there are available inputs on the TV.

Thanks  cjeman for the quick response.  I ordered a 5 to 1  HDMI switch box from Monoprice in California.  Good  reports on the company and components.

Great stuff …much appreciated  ;))

CD

Thanks MIke for then “genius” info on my concern.  hehehehe

The AV  receiver addition looks like a more expensive way to go.  I already have  an  7 years old AV receiver  but there are no HDMI inputs/outputs.  Go figure  !!!  I’m going to purchase  a 5 to 1 HDMI switch box from Monoprice.com  instead.

Thanks for the speedy reply  :))

CD from Toronto  

Thanks Tony for the info… I do have the component hookups but I thought I’d try HDMI.

Thanks 

CD