HDD read/write scan

Speedfan gave me this report (everything else was “very good” and “good” for my disk):

NOTE :  your hard disk has 2 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won’t be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE :  your hard disk has 2 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn’t be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the _Reallocated Sector Count_attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won’t be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

I plan to do this scan because my computer freezes sometimes, now more often than ever, but I tried the DLG from WD and it gave me error when repairing. What am I suppose to do? Is it ok to use a 3rd party tool from internet? Should I just replace the HDD? I’ve been told that after this type of scan my HDD won’t live for long, it will fail suddently and for good. Have you tried it? Is your HDD still “alive”?

hi, my question would be… what error code you get from the DLG?