HDD only recognized after reset

In Windows it can be a little difficult to tell which version you have.  Typically if you run the update it will tell you that it already has the latest or it will tell you that it failed.  If you want to provide me with your OS and SP level I will see if I can identify a way tell determine which firmware you are running.

I did an upgrade. I’m on a Mac btw. I never thought of firmware updating my drive.

Afterwards I flash the WD TV LIVE back to the firmware that caused me troubles - 1.02.21.

So I plugged the drive in and it was recognized as expected. I turned off the unit (standby) to see if the drive was recognized. But the TV LIVE froze. Plug out psu. The drive was recognized. Again I turned off the unit. Same problem with the freezing. So I tried the procedure one more time and this time I had success! Have tried two more times also with success. I hope it stays this way.

It seems that the problem is solved! Wooo huuu!

I was a little fast on the keys. Just tested. Same problem is back. It is not recognized after standby.

You think I should RMA the drive, James?

Yes I would RMA the drive and see.

Here is the link to the RMA page

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

let me know how this all works out for you.

Okay. The reason I am asking is because the drive seems to work in any other situation and work perfectly when reverting to the old firmware (v.1.01.24).

This is the only thing left that I can think of.  It might be a chipset compatibility with an older model Studio drive.  I know they used several different chipsets for this unit over its life, and when testing they would only test for models not chipsets.

I have the same problem and I have an Elite Edition (And even with the old firmware (v.1.01.24))

I have the same problem,

After upgrading to firmware 1.02.21 my external WD MyBook Studio was not recognized anymore.

@wdtvric: Have you tried the firmware downgrade? Is it the same model as the one mentioned here?

With the new firmware - Beta v1.03 - this very annoying problem of mine has vanished like dew before the sun :smiley:

Find it here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/