Hdd inside WD My Book Essential 2TB?

Hi, would anyone tell me what drive is inside My Book essential 2 tb? im looking for internal sata hdd but i have this one unopened on shelve. not sure it there is point to sell this one? or just open it and use it as internal hdd. many thx for any advice

Hello this is what I found in their KB dateabase:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1704/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwMjE4MjYxNS9zaWQvMWpRU1hUcWs%3D

"

The drive inside your external hard drive enclosure may vary depending on application. There are several things you should know about WD external hard drives:

• Depending on model, the internal hard drive in an external enclosure could be either SATA or native USB.

• We can only guarantee drive capacity. We cannot guarantee a particular internal hard drive model, data interface, rotational speed, or cache size in the external hard drive enclosure.

• Dismantling any single-drive external enclosure to obtain this information will void the warranty of the hard drive.

• Interface and cache of the hard drives inside the external enclosure does not affect the performance or the data transfer rate of the external hard drive unit.

Note: With the exception of eSATA and USB 3.0 external hard drives, USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 have yet to approach the transfer rates of the internal hard drives we use in our external enclosures.

"

I opened mine up yesterday and found the drive to be a Maxtor Diamond HDD. Hope this answers your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

jim_bowen wrote:

I opened mine up yesterday and found the drive to be a Maxtor Diamond HDD. Hope this answers your question :slight_smile:

Either that was not a WD drive or you were scammed and sold a Maxtor drive in a WD case.

The 1TB MyBook Essential drives that I’ve opened, have all been Caviar Green SATA drives inside.  Can’t guarantee that a 2TB MBE would be a 2TB Caviar Green SATA, but it seems a pretty safe bet.

Shhh… don’t tell WD about my opened cases. :dizzy_face:

I’m one of those people for whom “No User Servicable Parts Inside” is just a dare. :wink:

1 Like

My WD My Book 3.0 got a 2TB Black drive, you can read this information with a program like aida without opening the drive.

sblantipodi wrote:

My WD My Book 3.0 got a 2TB Black drive, you can read this information with a program like aida without opening the drive.

Not able to find any application like the one you mention, can you verify the name and provide the info?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Never mind is called Aida32/64 , i’ve founded , thanks for the info.