HD External Drive Says It's Password Protected

Please Help. I bought a WD external drive several years ago…filled it up and stored it. Now, I need to retrieve the info. BUT, it says it’s password protected. I NEVER ever gave it a password.  It contains the Caring Bridge wed site info and pics from the time my daughter was fighting Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). Her daughters were 6 and 8 when she died. It is now time to let them see this info…but, I CAN’T get into the stored info.  Anyone know what I can do?

What OS are you using now and what OS were you using when you saved the data? You can try connecting to a different computer or account like the guest account. I’ll see if I can find anybody that might have more ideas.

Joe

1 Like

Please tell us the exact model number or any other markings that are printed on the drive.  That’ll help figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

First, thanks for the offers of help. I was using Windows XP but now have Windows 7.

The info on the My Book is:

MDL:  WD16001032

S/N: [Deleted]

ilalane wrote:

Please Help. I bought a WD external drive several years ago…filled it up and stored it. Now, I need to retrieve the info. BUT, it says it’s password protected. I NEVER ever gave it a password.  It contains the Caring Bridge wed site info and pics from the time my daughter was fighting Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). Her daughters were 6 and 8 when she died. It is now time to let them see this info…but, I CAN’T get into the stored info.  Anyone know what I can do?

If the pictures were posted on the Caring Bridge web site you COULD go there and view each picture and as each picture is displayed right click on the picture and from the menu that will pop up select “save Image as”. I gather there are a lot if you filled a drive. There may be a way to bulk download them, kinda doubt this. I dunno without seeing the site. But at least this would be a last ditch way of getting the pictures back…just thinking of ways to help you. My heart goes out to you I lost my wife of 20 years to breast cancer.

1 Like

I did check the Caring Bridge site but, as far as I can tell, the memorials arn’t there any more. Also, checked the IBC site - no help there either

there are some bulk ways to download from website

example

using linux cmd line tool curl wget

will download everything, including web documents need o run the site

although, what I might first try, and this might not work

if you are an administrator on the computer

plug the drive in

then try to share the drive out

and see if you can access the files from a network location

I sort of doubt this will work, but worth a shot

Seems no one has suggested yet to contact WD support (make a phone call) and ask for help.  If you get nowhere with the initial support person, ask firmly to be transferred to the next level of support – to Level 2.  If WD won’t or can’t do the work themselves, perhaps they know who to contact that does these sorts of things.

I have emailed WH support.  But I will try talking to someone tomorrow.  I’ll cross my fingers. TY for the suggestions

I meant, WD support

Thanks for the suggestions. I just received a reply from WD support. They suggest Data Recovery…I will presue this option.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes – we might get this question again!