Have to reset the box everytime I want to use it

I’ve recently started having an issue where I have to reset the box everytime I want to use it, via the inset (and hard to press)reset button on the bottom.

Does anyone know as to why this is happening and how I could fix it?

I’ve had nothing but trouble with this box since I go it 3 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wheeeeelz wrote:

I’ve recently started having an issue where I have to reset the box everytime I want to use it, via the inset (and hard to press)reset button on the bottom.

Does anyone know as to why this is happening and how I could fix it?

I’ve had nothing but trouble with this box since I go it 3 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The problem is the current firmware–it’s a nightmare, and WD seemingly refuses to fix it (it’s been months and not so much as a single acknowledgement to all of the complaints about it).  They just don’t care.

The unit itself is not inherently unusable, if you manaully rollback the firmware to an older version.  There are instructions around this forum on how to do that, and while I don’t have a link, I’m sure someone will come along and provide one (or you may be able to find one by searching the forum with some term like “rollback firmware” and then dig through the results.

1 Like

this is my rollback guide

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/td-p/781923

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.

What I can’t understand is that the update seems to have been out for a month or so but it’s only just developed the reset problem.

Since posting I’ve been looking at other Streaming Players and the new Sumvision Android x4, at £45 it looks a very capable contender and a bargain!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sumvision-cyclone-android-x4-media-player

Wheeeeelz wrote:

Thank you both for your replies.

What I can’t understand is that the update seems to have been out for a month or so but it’s only just developed the reset problem.

Since posting I’ve been looking at other Streaming Players and the new Sumvision Android x4, at £45 it looks a very capable contender and a bargain!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sumvision-cyclone-android-x4-media-player

I’m curious why you are resorting to the inset reset button on the bottom instead of pulling out the power connection.

Not that I love pulling out power connections.  Doing so repeatedly can knock loose internal soddering points or damage the plug, but you’re likely risking similar damage by flipping the unit over while it’s plugged in anyway (because it’s putting pressure on the plug when you rotate the unit like that when it’s plugged in).  So you might as well unplug it anyway.

Unless I’m confused about what that reset button does (I could be).  Does it do more than a full reboot of the unit (vs. what the On/Off button on the remote usually does–which is not that unless you hold the Off button down for 10 seconds).

WileyCoyote wrote:

Unless I’m confused about what that reset button does (I could be)

The reset button restores the device to Factory Default settings.

This can also be done via the Setup > System > Device Reset

The reset button also alternates the device between PAL and NTSC  (hold for 10 secs)

The Power ON/OFF button held for 10 seconds … simply powers off the device completely (without resetting any settings)

Wheeeeelz wrote:

Good luck with autoframe on Android!

WD should have stayed with hardware…this latest Firmware upgrade is a joke!
Just tried the WD product reporting page…DOA!!..SEEMS THEY CAN’T GET THAT RIGHT EITHER!

AFTER THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE, Won’t read network storage. Won’t retain local storage settings…have to power off/on manually…how long till thst breaks?

Really a step backward!!!

Any ideas when they might this?

(Yes the Sumvision or a Zotek look pretty good right now…and they probably work)