Have i done my time machine backup in the right place?

Hi all

I’m running Moutain Lion, 10.8.2, and I recently bought a 2TB my book live to add to my system. I followed all the setup steps and got everything working fine, I have media in the ‘shared videos’ section which I can access through my blu-ray player (with ethernet connection), and through the cineXplayer app on my iPad. Great.

I’ve just done my first time machine backup to the drive over wi-fi, which took 2 days (for about 750GB). But I’m not totally sure I’ve put it in the right place! All I did was point time machine preferences to the drive and leave it to do its work.

The only thing I don’t understand is this - in my finder sidebar, under ‘shared’, I have both ‘mybooklive’ and ‘mybooklive-backup’. I’ve read other forum posts where people are not able to access their time machine backups on the mybooklive-backup drive (share? partition?), which is fine, but that’s not where my backup is, mine is just on ‘mybooklive’. Mine goes:

MyBookLive > TimeMachineBackup (it resides next to folder called Public (where my media is) and SmartWare).

So, have I pointed my time-machine at my main drive instead of the backup drive (share/partition/whatever)? Does this matter?

I seem to remember setting a partition when I did the initial install, where I believe I set 1.4TB to be allocated to time machine backups and the other 600GB as media storage etc. I’m looking at the WD dashboard but I can’t find a way to check on these settings and confirm that this is what I’ve done. Disk utility is no help here either. Is setting a partition the reason that mybooklive and mybooklive-backup appear in the finder sidebar as 2 separate things or is that always the case anyway?

Sorry for a longish post with various questions, I’m quite pleased with the drive, just want to make sure that I’m using it right!

Thanks
Chris

…I should add this is my first time using a NAS so though I’m fairly au fait with stuff on my mac, this has all been new to me!

Cheers